Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fussy hens?  (Read 4935 times)

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
Fussy hens?
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:28 pm »
I know hens don't read the textbooks, but I would have expected them to be eating more layers pellets than they are  :-\ 

Every morning I make a great show of where the pellets are going, scattering a little drop on the ground beneath the feeder in the hope that they'll make the connection, but they seem to be ignoring them.  Not completely, just mostly.

Their run has a pot with a couple of kale plants in and they've demolished those, and they get a small handful of mixed corn and mealworm in the afternoon.   

Should I be concerned at the lack of interest in the pellets?  They were weaned onto layers more than a week ago, after a diet of a few days of mixed growers and layers to get them used to the changed.

Is it worth trying a different brand?   Or layers mash?

They seem healthy enough, just frantic for the corn when it arrives - which could be their natural state anyway - I just want to be sure...   ???

sandy

Re: Fussy hens?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:04:18 pm »
Mine are fussy too, I put the pellets out and I can almost see them turning up there beaks and walking off, if they get wet they are very hard to clear up as well, they seem to set like concrete, like yours, they just like the grain and of course, cake, biscuits, cooked rice, tomatoes, grapes, spaghetti and they love sardines...my children were fussy eaters as well!!!

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:17:17 pm »
Keep at it, they will take them eventually. Just go easy with the "treats" so that they don't start to associate those things as the only food they get. Keep the pellets fresh & show them some tough love, they'll soon be eating them.

Or wave a stock pot at them every once in a while too! ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:54:28 pm »
Depends what else is on offer. Ours don't eat much pellets either but they roam all over the place so get food elsewhere. If they are healthy and laying OK, don't worry about it. They won't starve themselves to death.

sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 09:11:51 pm »
Mine roam around too, they are excavating the garden and crating lot's of pot holes, it's all gravel wth trees and logs and pond etc but now booby trapped with ankel twisters.....cunning chickens!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 08:48:32 am »
Mine have a varied diet, plus being free range find plenty of bugs, snails, slugs and frogs.  Even their favourite spaghetti is abandoned when I feed the pigs.  I am plagued by 20 or so birds mobbing me for the pig nuts.  They will climb into the pig feeders and will actually fight the weaners for their feed.  Does anyone know if pig feed is dangerous to chickens?  If not I can save money and a pig feed time scrum by feeding the pigs

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:46:31 am »
Hilary's mum, mine have been eating the pig nuts for years and never had any adverse effects so I presume it's ok. They have also eaten horse food, cattle feed, they love dog and cat food, mine are a strange lot!

I give my hens a pretty varied diet, mixing the layers pellets with mixed corn, wheat and oats, they also get layers mash which they adore. As well as free ranging and getting large amounts of vegetables.

If you keep at it they will eventually eat the layers pellets, must admit some of mine prefer the mash and eat everything in the mix apart from the layers pellets  ;D

Btrobe

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 11:31:38 am »
Hi
Mine are also very fussy. I started giving them organic layers pellets which they trurned their beaks up at. After reading someone elses message I started giving them wheat, barley and cracked corn mixed together with a little cod liver oil. I also gave them treats - vegetable peelings, the odd cabage and anything else which was left over together with potatoes. We are vegetarians so they don't get meat. They initially loved this but have recently started leaving some of the wheat and the cracked corn. I was worried in case I was giving them too much so I tried the 'tough love' system - didn't work.  I again got worried that they weren't getting enough greens as they have scratched up all the grass in their pen so I added layers pellets in with the mix. They have a large pen and have the run of the whole garden for a couple of hours a day but hubby complains that they are scratching up the only reasonably decent lawn we have. They are still fussy but are laying well. I may try the pig nuts - they sound interesting. I've never tried layers mash either.
Brenda

sandy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:03 am »
I go out everyday and collect green stuff as they have eaten all the greens from their bit of garden, I find it strange that even with rubber/ surgical gloves, the nettles still sting, it's a strange feeling, your finger goes numb for about 2 days.....anyway, off to give them their daily helping of greens :chook:

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 01:06:40 pm »
Can you give them nettles?   :o

I have in mind a couple of particularly bushy specimens which I haven't got round to digging up - maybe this could be the incentive...!!

sandy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:26:27 pm »
Yes, hens like nettles, I want to collect them for ourselves to eat but there are still no enough where I go and as one of my dogs is still young and new to me, I darn't go where I knw there are loads of nettles as sheep are around, chickens are very good at weeding, my boarders are bare of weeds (and everything else) we are going to plant more shrubs, they hav left them alone, we are also gettin2 fruit trees to plant there as well.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:31:13 pm »
IF ANYONE WANTS TO LEND ME THEIR CHICKENS TO WEED MY BORDERS - I'LL BE HAPPY TO LET THEM!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 02:51:34 pm »
sellickbhoy you dont want chickens, you want Hilary, she will weed everything, dig it over and manure it for you all within the space of 24 hours.  (BUt you can keep her for a week if you want).  (ps Dont worry about the ferry fare, she can swim).

Clucking..  thanks for that, may well give them some pig nuts if they are safe for them.  It appears to be their preference.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:38:19 am by Hilarysmum »

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 09:59:54 am »
Ours are fussy, and the only feed we supply them is corn.
Occasionally, we offer stale bread which they squabble over, but mostly they fend for themselves
Pigtails

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS