Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storing hay  (Read 19197 times)

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: Storing hay
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 10:53:46 am »
Hi,

The tripods where more for drying hay in the field or other forage crops which take more drying such as oats and vetch or lucerne, it wouldn't work with a stack though.

Philip

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 11:04:29 am »
singing shearer    the original poster said it was round bales they wanted to store outside
the tripods were used for hay and have done this oats were stooked for drying/ripening usually 4 each side stooked at an angle before being brought in to stack   the oats were more than likely cut when still green or just on the turn
tripods were also used by people that could not build stacks       there was a neighbour that used to have stacks that resembled oast house roofs with the steam coming out them as well :farmer:

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2012, 11:54:20 am »
Robert,

I know, oats for grain where stooked like other cereals, but bulky crops of oats and vetch or tares as they were known where often dried on tripods.

Philip

princesspiggy

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2012, 10:00:35 pm »
we have a "museum" farm near us and they still have the circles of stones outside where the hay was stored and stacked in  the 50's. i presume aslong as its off the wet itl be ok and ud expect a bit of spoiling on the outside. once its baled rather than stacked then it would need a cover.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:12 am »
how do you cope with the joints on the twine every 6 feet  when twisting rope :farmer:

It's called splicing, Robert!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2012, 08:44:50 am »
we have a "museum" farm near us and they still have the circles of stones outside where the hay was stored and stacked in  the 50's. i presume aslong as its off the wet itl be ok and ud expect a bit of spoiling on the outside. once its baled rather than stacked then it would need a cover.

We had "staddle stones" in our "mowey" on our childhood farm Princess P. Lots of folk wanted to buy them as garden ornaments but Dad always said no, you never know when you might need them again :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 09:54:01 pm »

We had "staddle stones" in our "mowey" on our childhood farm Princess P. Lots of folk wanted to buy them as garden ornaments but Dad always said no, you never know when you might need them again :)

"Hareshowe"  -this museum farm was bought from an old lady - by the council and they literally moved the whole house and farmyard to a new field a few miles to Aden Park, up by us. they put it all back together again, including ornaments, furniture, chicken coops, midden etc
its a great place, old or not. id love to live there! theres a gas incubator that the blind society gave to the ww1 veteran so he could make a few bob.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2012, 11:31:18 pm »
We also use the old sisal twine for baling and I plait it into ropes when I open a bale.  When the fencing contractor saw me plaiting baler twine he was in hysterics as he hadn't seen anyone making ropes for 40 years! 
I enjoy plaiting the band as well, with a few different colours to play with I've made some very nice leads for the goats, using clips for about 80p from the pets shop, looped back and spliced well in (using a rug rug hook). also great for making non choking slip leads for goats and dogs. and much better for tying gates up than just the single strands?
 -  and now back to storing hay  :D
I like making hay by hand, but it's heartbreaking seeing the clouds rolling in and trying to row up yet again, got a contractor in last year, left the smaller area hay that I'd been working, the contractor brought most of 'his' it in too soon, mine would have been better :(.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS