Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bens sore nose!  (Read 7469 times)

sandy

Bens sore nose!
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:27:34 pm »
Noticed when we got Ben he looked like he had no fur on the tip of his nose, just before the actual nose starts, Noticed yesterday a bit of raw skin there and am not sure if he is trying to open doors with his nose as I am told he knows how to open doors, or, if he is posting his nose through the square trellis to see the chickens. I am always in and out to he is not left for too long and he does have Isaly to keep him company, I dare say he would love to be in watching TV on a sofa but not here!!
  Does anyone have any solutions? I thought of a mussel but did not like that idea unless there was nothing else and I wondered if there was any think I could put on it to help him, although it has healed over today. My next problem is I took him for a walk up the local trainline, which is littered with dog poo, but I am trying to keep Islay out of the stagnant water in the forests for a while, he soon found some sort of dark coloured poo and ate it very quickly, he was very stubborn and would not stop and ate it like it was a big juicy steak. Now I know some dogs do eat poo, I have had it before, but do you think he needs something else in his food?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Bens sore nose!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:44:43 pm »
Try rubbing some "Sudocrem" on, that normally helps with sore bits.

sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:48:52 pm »
Funny, that's what I was going to do but when he was resting inside at night...I'll give it a go, he is very sweet.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:41:58 pm »
As far as eating dog poo is concerned he may be missing something inn his diet.  I have Minadex you can have for him if I can find it.  That usually stops them before it becomes a habit - which it is with Hester.  None of the rest of my dogs does it but I just turn the other way when Hester does it.  She can't do it out on a walk as she is muzzled then anyway.  I'll put it up to you tomorrow if I find it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:51:53 pm »
Thanks, I could not get to it soon enough, just was able to kick a bit out of his way but he was focused on getting it. WHen I have time today, I know I am on this but having a teabreak, I ill take them out to a small woodland, he will probaly find other poo ther!

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:40:56 pm »
Hi Sandy

I would also use sudocreme on his nose. I have had problems with dogs eating poo and I find they usually grow out of it.You could try Pineapple in their food or courgettes. supposed to leave a bad taste in their mouth.
Sharon x :-X

sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:09:34 pm »
Put Sudocream on his nose and it stayed in place, it's also not so soar today, I think he was trying to open the back door from the other side, he is in a lean too in the day that leads off the back door, nice and warm with the sun in there and I put the radio and sometimes a Chill Out CD on. We went off to the woods and there he was,munching away like he was having a steak, it may have been another animals dropping, most dogs love sheep poo!!  I called him but he is a bit stubborn and would not budge, he then came and  gave him a treat. I have some tiny bit's of  cooked liver, I will take them out next time. I remember a lab I had years ago comming out of the hedge with, what we thought was a log!! yes, it was a huge, human looking poo...nice.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »
Hi Sandy

I would also use sudocreme on his nose. I have had problems with dogs eating poo and I find they usually grow out of it.You could try Pineapple in their food or courgettes. supposed to leave a bad taste in their mouth.
Sharon x :-X

The pineapple only works if they eat their own.  Ben is eating others.  I can't find the Minadex (it's a children's tonic) but Mike should have it in the shop - chemist down the road from you.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:00:34 am »
What does Minadex do? I think i is because he is young and at the tasting everything phase, I do not evenkeep buckets of disinfectant around as I have known dogs to take a lick of them too, he came out of our garage yesterday crunching a piece of coal!! I know it would be OK as you can give dogs similar for wind, he wont be having anymore, I shall shut the garage.

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:10 am »
I've only ever used Minidex for the kids, it's a vitamin tonic, I give them it if they've been under the weather and it kind of peps them up again (and makes them eat NON-STOP) my mum also used to treat old people with it when they were poorly.
It'll probably top up all Ben's minerals and vitamins so if the poo eating is down to a lack of something in his diet - this should fill the gap & solve the problem (maybe?)
Or maybe like my big boy (who doesn't eat it, but rolls in it!) it's just a nasty, minging habbit ?  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:52:25 pm »
Ben's is possibly a lack of minerals - that often happens when they go onto adult food too early.  I keep mine on puppy food for longer than most, then onto Junior food.  They don't really get adult stuff till over a year.  So Minadex should help.  If left without correction it can turn into a habit - my 12 year old Wire still does it, John used to ignore her and never told me about it (I was at work, he was home with the animals) - I just don't watch her any more! ;)
If they eat their own poo, then feeding pineapple will help stop them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS