Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Log cabins  (Read 11067 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Log cabins
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
If there's no sign of a bed or even a sofa bed you should be OK - but it may depend on the size of the hut as to the ruling your own council makes.  Good luck.  I'm fighting Aberdeenshire and previous so called 'friends' for my planning permission on my pension plot.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:05 am »
Hi Larkscrew - sorry to say, I suspect you shouldnt have with respect to the law (although Im not a planner or law proffessional) - you have a bit of leeway if it's in the forest and in support of forestry activities (  http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/planning-and-woodlands.php ) but even then it's pretty strict. 

As I understand it, you can have a static if anciliary to the house (ie not for holiday let) and within the curtalage of the house (we currently have 2 old statics on our field which are technically illeagal as outside the curtalage of house, but have been there since the year dot), or various agricultural buildings in support of an agricultural business (the last word being important).  We have a field elsewhere which has stables and field shelters on it and they needed planning permission - we 'store' a caravan in one of the field shelters, (keeping it covered when we are not there) and I recon we are also on dodgy ground there (outside of the 28 day rule) - but at least we can move it if there are any objections (which there shouldnt be as no-one can see it).  It's difficult, but if you are lucky with your planner they may suggest a way forward.  Good luck, F

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:40 am »
I'd make it look as much like a 'shed', ie storage etc, as possible and as little like a place to shelter. Does it have electricity? Remove any electrical appliances, store sacks in front of the sockets and show him a trusty old meths Trangia for making your cuppas. Remove any comfortable chairs and have a couple of folding garden chairs for now......

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 10:21:02 pm »
We own 20 acres of land which has 3 fishing ponds and a farmer who grazes his sheep on the rest of the land. We also grow vegetables and fruit for our own consumption.  We built a wooden hut to make cups of tea, shelter from the weather, keep our tools and fishing equipment in and entertain our family on bank holidays.
Yesterday we had a notice from the local planning officer saying someone had notified them that we were living on site. We now have to meet the officer on site to prove we don't live there. But I am now worried we shouldn't have built the hut. Any advice?

Yes tell them to sod off, they have to prove you live their not you have to prove you don't.
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Larkscrew

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:41 pm »
Thanks for all your advice. The planning officer is coming to meet us on site next week. I will let you know what happens. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS