Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best way to rehome a cat  (Read 4581 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
best way to rehome a cat
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:21 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am seeking your advice on the difficult issue of rehoming my cats. As a result of my recent redundancy notice and OHs job uncertaincy we have put our small holding on the market. We plan to move into rented accomodation and so after much deliberation we are in the process of finding homes for our animals.

I have put an advert up in the feed merchants for the chickens and the cows and sheep have gone back to their breeder.

What is the best way to find homes for the cats?

They are both neutered and well cared for, treated for worms, fleas etc. Should I charge to ensure a good home? If so how much and where should I advertise?

The house may take a long time to sell but I would feel better if my animals were all sorted out in advance. I would hate to recieve an offer on the house and then feel under preasure to try and home the cats. Im worried about what would happen if I couldnt find a home in that time.

Any advice please :'(

Buffy

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: best way to rehome a cat
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:47:43 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about all this  :-*

Would your cats not be able to come with you?  If not, there will be local animal rescue centres, or I'd do it by personal contacts, ie friends of friends/workmates etc.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:54 am »
We rented fro four months between house sales during a slump in the market some years ago. We had three dogs at the time so it was difficult to find somewhere as there was no way we would rehome them.  We eventually found a house and the condition was they were kept in the garage and not allowed in the house.  Perhaps you could offer that as a means of keeping them with you.  We did take the dogs inside on the odd occasion and obviously they had the run of the very large  garden.  It may be an option for you.

I'm so sorry about your circumstances and hope you will be able to get settled and back on your feet very soon.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:21:36 pm »
Thanks for the advice,

I know that there is a chance that we could find a place that would allow us to keep pets but even if we did I would be concerned for them if we ended up in a busy suburban area. I feel that when that time comes it will be hard enough without trying to sort out a place for cats and worrying about them. If they had to live outside in this weather I would find it very difficult.

It would be sad to see them go but if they went to a good home they wouldnt miss us and that would make me feel that I had done my best for them.

They arrived as strays so I could look upon my time with them as an unexpected bonus.

I will try the local cat rescue centres and see if they have any ideas. OH hates the idea of them going to live in a cage at the adoption centre. Personaly I try not to think about any of it in too much detail.

Buffy

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:40:20 pm »
So sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations  :(

Maybe whoever buys your smallholding might want them? Added sales feature? Friend of mine bought a house that came with a cat called Rhoda. :cat:

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:58:51 pm »
sorry to hear about your circumstances, truly horrible for you.

re the cats, we got our kittens from the local cats protection. The set up they had for that branch (so don't know it's universal) was that the cats were adopted out to volunteers, so ours were fostered by a family who converted a spare roon as a cattery. While not ideal, at least they weren't locked in a cage. Maybe your local branch will be similar.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:46 pm »
Thanks for your advice,

I will find out how the rehoming centres work. I have emailed a few friends and asked them to ask around and also put together an add to sell off my beautiful chickens too.

perhaps the people who buy the place would want them as Rosemary says and if not perhaps I could find a way to take them with me like Doganjo did with her dogs. I just wanted to give them a chance to find a loving home rather than put them through a relocation and risk not being able to take them at all.

We have just returned from the vets which they dont like and so they spend their time curled up small with their heads burried in my jumper while the vet tries to examine them. Its the "If I cant see it its not happenning approach" perhaps I should try that :-\

Back home Polly is curled up at my feet with her head resting on my slipper like a faithfull hound. I know you seasoned cat owners will tell me its only cupboard love but sometimes it feels like more than that.

I realise that I shall miss them far more than they will miss me. But then thats as it should be.

:cat: :) :cat:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »
Don't you believe it - cats have soft hearts too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:27 am »
Back home Polly is curled up at my feet with her head resting on my slipper like a faithfull hound. I know you seasoned cat owners will tell me its only cupboard love
Nope, it ain't just cupboard love. 

sometimes it feels like more than that.

It is.  :-*

If we were not on horrid fast country lanes I would offer to be a backup home for your beautiful cats in a heartbeat, but I am resolved to not have more cats on purpose while we live here; it would just be a death sentence.  :(  But they are such lovely cats you will find a good home for them if you need to - hopefully with whoever buys your smallholding.

{{{hugs}}}
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
Thanks for all your help with this difficult decision.

I have decided to try and identify some type of fall back plan which would mean that I would know that they had somewhere to go if I found that I couldnt take them. Then I can just sit back and see what happens, knowing that they will be ok.

Buffy

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:04 pm »
I'm sorry to hear your circumstances have had to change and wish you all the good luck in the world that things get sorted out for you and all your furry and feathered friends. Cx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS