Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Arks  (Read 4018 times)

Ann and Rob

• Joined Jan 2012
Pig Arks
« on: February 05, 2012, 07:03:32 pm »
Hi again!

Just wanted more info on pig arks.  Looking to buy 3 pigs , how big should the ark be???

Ann and Rob

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Pig Arks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:09:02 pm »
are you looking to have weaners or full grown sows?
we just have weaners and have had an 8x6 arc
when we have 2 weaners we block 1/2 up while they are small with straw (although they move them to block the door if windy!! ;D ;D
it also fits 6 fine (they are addictive )
Mx

Ann and Rob

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 07:27:01 pm »
Thanks M, just 3 weaners but may expand! As u said they are addictive, how much land would you give them if i kept to 3?

A and R

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:55 am »
As M says 8*6 is a good size, will let you expand later.

Arks can be tin, wood, or plastic, some are insulated - None is better than the other is all aspects.

And of course you can home make - eother with straw ables, or if you're goodish at DIY frtom raw materials.

You should consider whether you need a floor.  You can improvise one from pallets with the slats covered, and it doen;t have to exactly fit the ark. 

Lots of choices to think about.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 09:03:24 am »
I have floorless arks but put lightweight cow mats down in the winter.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:20 am »
Following this thread - We made a piggy palace out of straw bale walls, palets, plywood and carpet floor, and bits of corrugated iron for the roof.  Its been fantastic and has allowed us to try out pigs without massive cost (biggest set up cost waas the electric fencing, but we felt we would use  that again even if the pigkeeping didnt turn out to be for us).   First batch going off to slaughter an a few weeks time and I would deffineatly do it all again.  The bale 'ark' would last for another set too, but of course it would need to be moved if we wanted to have some others straight after (to give the land time to rest and recover), which is not very practical.  I think it will be next year before we have eaten our way through these, so will buy an ark next time - interested in most sturdy, longlasting, movable recommendations.  We spent about £40 on strawbales and I'm hoping that some of them will be salvageable for use as bedding in the future.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »
This might help

http://www.oldspots.org.uk/getting_started2.asp

We use 8x6 arks c/w floors. Arks without floors are easier to move and clean out but you run the risk of wet, cold beds if we have a rainy spell and it gets under.
HTH
mandy  :pig:
ps get reading those piggy books lots of info in those. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS