Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Terrible Terrier  (Read 9723 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Re: Terrible Terrier
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 09:24:00 pm »
Terrible terrier did have a run off the lead today. She was coupled up to her brother a la foxhound style and under constant supervision. This seemed to work ok as although they both wander they seem to do it for different reasons. However I wouldn't ever do this with them with no supervision.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:22 pm »
We spoke to a wonderful lady with a Deer hound and she paid a lot of money to get an electric colar that she could re call her dog with, once he came back with a sheep!!!!!!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »
I have looked into an electric collar but they are banned in Wales unfortunately. This was when I had a lurcher that got a taste for sheep. He was a dog that I couldn't keep on a lead all the time as he loved to run. Most of the time he came back to me but the times he didn't he was into my neighbours sheep. :(
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 10:12:31 pm »
I know and still think its better an electric colar than a dead sheep or dog!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 11:53:09 pm »
Absolutely - agree wholeheartedly.   They have to be on the dog without being activated for at least 2 to 3 weeks before training begins so that the dog doesn't know that the collar is correcting it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 10:37:55 pm »
Apparently the welsh assembly think it is crueller to train a dog using an electric collar than to just let it wander off and get run over or to get into a field of sheep and be shot by a farmer. This did happen to my neighbours dog and allegedly it wasn't a clean shot either. Can't bear to think of that happening to my little monster. :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 10:57:55 pm »
The reason they have been banned is because they were and are readily available and many people do not use them correctly.  They must be left on the dog for at least two weeks prior to ANY correction being made, and then used at the lowest setting to obtain the required behaviour.  It is seen nowadays that positive training is far better than negative, and many people look on these collars as negative.  They can be used as a quick and easy correction and retribution tool by unknowing and unscrupulous people.  One of my dogs was trained by a professional trainer using a collar to stop her jumping the field fences and running off.  I reckon it saved her life on a few different levels.  I have one but I don't use it.  Had no call to so far.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »
I thought it funny as a dog trainer on my facebook friends was ranting on  about her sister buying a Terrier but not being able to cope so took it to her for some lessons! she said they are very difficult dogs!!

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:49:25 pm »
a different breed but anyway - our gsd used to be a right pest for running away to the village (we live on a farm so plenty of space but the moment u turned ur back she was away)
we spayed her at 5 years (because of phantom pregnancies) and she has stopped running away 98% of the time. but she is now incontenant so i wudnt spay another bitch as she used used to a house dog but is now resigned to the utility room which wasnt the plan. she has calmer alot after spaying.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS