Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coriander growing tips  (Read 13620 times)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
Coriander growing tips
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »
Has anyone got any tips on growing coriander? I've tried the last 2 years, 1 year outside 1 year in a greenhouse and both times it has just bolted and gone to seed. I tried cutting the flower heads off to make it bush out, it did but only with more flower heads not leaf.

deepinthewoods

Re: Coriander growing tips
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »
check your growing the right type of coriander, some are designed to produce the seeds as the crop, others grow as leaf.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:27:50 pm »
Thank for that. will check packets this year. :)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »
I love coriander and use loads of it.  Sadly all shop bought as every time it bolts - drives me mad.  I think it is because I am always too impatient to plant it, am going to try late planting this year to see if it helps.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:15:40 am »
glad it's not just me. I like the later planting idea, anything is w

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:19:40 am »
 :o I just pressed the wrong button. lets try that again.
as I was saying anything is worth a try.

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:09:01 am »
We find to have a continual supply we have to sow it every two weeks, we've tried different varieties but it is just so prone to bolting ::) However, in the chiltern seeds catalogue I've discovered something called 'Papalo' which is meant to have a coriander flavour with lime undertones, but as easy to grow as parsley, so will be having a go at that this year!!
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Mel

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:05:35 pm »
We find to have a continual supply we have to sow it every two weeks, we've tried different varieties but it is just so prone to bolting ::) However, in the chiltern seeds catalogue I've discovered something called 'Papalo' which is meant to have a coriander flavour with lime undertones, but as easy to grow as parsley, so will be having a go at that this year!!

Now that is something I have not heard of,Thanks very much,I shall try it this year and hopefully get rif of the Bolting Blues! ;D

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:57 pm »
Grew mine in pots on the kitchen windowsill...worked a treat as I just kept cutting it as I needed it

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »
I've never had much success with coriander.  Mond you, ewven when I buy a pot from the supermarket, it doesn't do very well.  Maybe it's just me.  :(

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:23:06 am »
I've had success in past years but terrible results last year despite multiple sowings, different locations etc. On the other hand my Basil was Knee high and kept going till the first frost. I'll try coriander again as we can not buy it in the shops here and it would transform our Friday  - CURRY NIGHT.
I'll try a lighter compost mix and larger pots with just 6 seeds sprinkled on top covered in a thin layer.
Polythene bag on top and germinate in the mini greenhouse.
I'll repeat every 2 weeks ( like last year) and hope they don't bolt or just go woody. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:05:12 pm »
26 feb I put seven home produced corriander seeds in a recycled plastic drink cup ( two 1/8 inch nail drain holes melted in base ) and 3/4 filled it with coars vermiculite  covered it with cling film , set it in a rammakin dish so it could soak up a load of water and put it in the airing cupboard after setting it in an inch of water for 1/2 hr .
Four days later I took it out removed the cling film and set it on a sunny window cill . It has had to have four gentle watering of a soak in 1/2 inch of water to keep things damp .

It appeared as though nothing was happening till last week , when i noticed four tiny green shoots had appeared .. all seven are now through and will get potted on and set out in the greennhouse tomorrow .

Our corriander plants seem to be a three foot tall plant when run to seed , but most of the time we have just kept giving it a sever hair cut to keep it to 18 inches or so tall .
 The shop purchased herb coriander does not lend itself to propagation or further growing as they are usually cloned in laboratory produced cuttings grown under optimum conditions with artificial light.

Look fot Spanish Cilantro or as we know it corriander officinalis or corriandium sgtivum
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 08:54:16 am »
I've had good results with coriander Sativum, which we bought from premier seeds. Grew well in large tubs, keep well watered and give a bit of shade when the sun is really hot. Beyond that, cut regularly, and keep reseeding every few weeks to maintain a regular supply throughout the summer. I am married to an Indian so I cook a lot of Asian style cuisine, so I need a good supply of coriander  ;D
a smile a day, keeps the doldrums at bay :-)x

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 08:42:03 am »
i have been growing corriander for years and have 2 pieces of advice, 1 never let it dry out! much better a little wetter than drier! as soon as the plant thinks it is going to dry out bang! it will bolt. 2 don't have the soil too rich. it is a weed and i find does better in poor soil with the odd feed. i put 2 pots a week on to grow all through the summer giving a constant supply and much better than those horrible supermarket things! top tip is that the best flavour is in a young root! grind them up in a pestle and mortar and us that instead leaf. if you put a little salt in with the root it will grind up much easier.   
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:30 pm »
Thank you.  I am going to try again but this time, keep the pots standing in water.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS