Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Muscovy ducks  (Read 3076 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Muscovy ducks
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:12:01 pm »
hi, someone on here, probably in the Borders, had some for sale fairly recently I think? If there are still any going, please let me know as am interested in finding out if I can offer a suitable home and a little more about them.
Cheers
LF

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Re: Muscovy ducks
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 09:02:00 pm »
We have 3  muscovy ducks and a drake and this year we had 46 duckling from them.  They are fun to keep, intelligent, full of character and easy to keep, though we do have to clip their wings to stop them flying off and up on top of huts. Keep the slugs down too. Compared to the muskies, the appleyards we have are brain dead, nice to look at but thick.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:05:36 pm »
thanks mentalmilly-am tempted and thanks to all who have pm'd.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:30:20 pm »
Goosepimple has Muscovy ducks!
Anne

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:57:09 pm »
Goosepimple has Muscovy ducks!

yes, thats who I was thinking of, Goosepimple has also sent a very comprehensive PM in reply to all of my daft questions  8)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 11:17:11 am »
Liked that honesty Mentalmilly!  ;D Brilliant.

Thanks Anne, Anne has runners by the way everyone!!!

And I have some lovely Muscovies left if anyone wants to give an egg laying machine for Christmas.  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »
Where are you LF? 

I have also muscoveys but in North Yorkshire and am looking to cut numbers down. 

I don't clip the wings on mine so they can escape predators and they never stray, except onto the moors to lay eggs, which they'd do clipped or not.  ::)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 04:21:16 pm »
I'm in Lanarkshire :) I've decided to wait a bit, we've alot on and we'll be better placed to take on a different species next year. Still have a fair bit to do with the chicken housing first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS