Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Our Geese have starting attacking us!  (Read 3307 times)

Pocagranja

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Raiguero Bajo, Murcia, Spain
Help Our Geese have starting attacking us!
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:03:45 am »
We have hand reared our geese from birth (we have 2 hens & a gander) & they have suddenly started attacking us when we go into the field.  Even when we go in to feed them!
We have noticed them starting to mate so maybe this is something to do with the aggressive behaviour? We looked on the internet & it said to grab them by their necks when they are pecking you & shout at them but it hasn't worked, any suggestions?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Help Our Geese have starting attacking us!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:25:11 am »
They are getting territorial , a good sign as they are going to breed. Are they actually attacking you or just running at you. Geese tend to run and pull as fighting not draw blood as a chook would. So just stand your ground and flap your coat and tell them off, they will turn if you are dominant.They are very clever and know which side their bread is buttered. I have a full flock and not one would dare have a go at me. But I am used to big birds, some folk wont even go in the field with my turkey stag, you have to be the boss. Sounds hard doesnt it ::) being brave with a few birds!!

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:48:19 pm »
This link might help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2300137_properly-handle-train-geese.html

If my geese come at me hissing I go forward and hiss back.

If they (usually the gander) keeps coming I raise my right arm with my hand in a 'beak' shape and turn my hand from side to side (as the gander does when he comes up to me). He usually turns away as he thinks I am bigger than him and I send him on his way by pinching his tail feathers with my left hand. I then turn away and if he turns and comes after me, I turn on him again, the same action until he turns away and doesn't follow me.

If he takes no notice of my large 'beak', as above, I catch him under the chin with my left hand so that he can't peck me, put my right hand on his back and force him gently onto the ground, telling him what a prat he is being. After a thirty seconds, I let him up (standing as tall as I can) and pinch his tail feathers as he walks off. You usually only have to do this once.....................
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:54:05 pm »
It's the breeding season.

I stretch out my arms and run at stroppy geese - make like I'm a bigger, more aggressive goose. They soon restrict themselves to hissing and muttering  ;) PteGalettes tricks sound like they'd work too  :)

Mel

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »
 ;D :wave:
yes,waving around hysterically usually works here~ for Chris anyhow,I just point my finger and tell them No! ;D The Gander has attacked Chris and bruised him somewhere which I shall just leave to your imagination  ;D ;D

I have to say,every time he goes down now,he watches the gander intensively!..Chris is not impressed :D

oldhinton

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:06 pm »
All of the above, you have to be respectful but the dominant force with all livestock, just don't be 'windy' and stand your ground, above all else maintain constant contact, and routine.

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:34 pm »
its a good sign. our gander would often hiss and run at you but you just had to look at him and he would stop and back down. don't get worried if the gander does attack grab him by his neck and pin him down. they atre not stupid and will stop. however keep young children away from them as a goose peck can hurt.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS