Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Parsnips  (Read 7426 times)

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
Parsnips
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:13:17 pm »
 \hi Just wondering ifs its feasible to start parsnips off in pots i never seam to get a good germinating sowing straight in ground any tips would be appreciated

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Parsnips
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »
I would not think so as they dont like being disturbed, they dont even like you weeding too close to them. That is what I have been told and have always gone by.Is your seed fresh, as in last years! Parsnip seed has to be last years so make sure so when you buy it.It also needs a decent soil manured the previous year with no stones. My parsnips are Avon Resister a good hardy one , not massive but a good size and disease resistant. Good luck with them , you cannot beat a good roast parsnip, I have just had my last lot from the ground.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:49:44 pm »
I wouldn't be in any hurry to sow parsnips yet. I'm in Yorkshire and I don't sow parsnips until April or late March at the earliest. I think it is too cold earlier and they don't do well being sown in February although that is when most seed packets tell you to.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:49:03 am »
I sow mine at the same time as you Hopewell, I always have to add a month or even two to the advised sowing times. Cuts down what I can grow outside :(

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:24:08 am »
I never had any joy with parsnips until this year when they were planted in late April and they've grown to massive size, to the point I still have about 2' of a row outdoors with straw banked up to them.  I was worried they were so big they'd be woody but while the oven is bust so I can't test them roasted, they have made a pretty good curried parsnip and apricot soup ;D

Plan is to do the same again, and plant in situ as others have said they don't like being moved - I tried that the first year.. ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:53 am »
only fresh seed and dont sow till the soil is at last 7degrees, i grew gladiator last year.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:14 am »
As everyone says, plus: so your row doesn't get swamped by weeds, as parsnips are slow to germinate, use radish to mark the row.  How I do it is to 'station sow' a few parsnip seeds in a group at the final planting distance, about 6-8" apart, then sow a few radish seeds between to mark the row.  The radish seeds will come up in a few days and that way you can see to weed the row before the parsnips come up - carefully on your hands and knees - and the radish will be eaten before they shade the parsnips.  Later on, thin the groups of parsnip seedlings if necessary to just one sturdy one at each station.   It works  :thumbsup:  Oh and protect them from carrot root fly.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 07:39:11 pm »
I agree with all above but was amazed that neighbours gave me young swede ( yellow swede) and turnips ( white Swede) to plant on. They nipped off the end of the tap root and pinched off all but an inch and a half of the leaves. All have grown a storm. I would never have thought of planting out Young swede, turnips or the beetrot (sold on markets) - so maybe it will work with parsnips.
Let me know how they turn out please as germination can be hit and miss even with new seeds.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 07:09:04 pm »
Has anybody experience with sowing their parsnips in newspaper rolls? The theory is that transplanting them should not disturb them much and the newspaper should be easy enough for the parnsip to break through when growing. But I wonder if newspaper won't be too floppy once its had moist compost inside for a while, even when it's made of several layers...?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:25 pm »
There really is no need to start parsnips off, they are one of the first to go out as long as the soil is good for them.

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 11:32:55 pm »
If you have trouble starting them off you might want to try starting them in toilet roll tubes filled with compost. Move them (tubes and all) into the veg plot once the seedlings appear - don't be tempted to leave it too long otherwise the roots will quickly poke out of the bottom. The tubes will rot away in your plot allowing your parsnips to grow.

I agree with everyone else though - I wouldn't put them in yet. Wait until the soil has warmed - late March at the earliest.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 08:37:36 am »
we have always grown parships in toilet rolls (told by a old market gardener from Dorset) warm the ground with black plastic then plant out in march under a fleece cover. hope this helps
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 08:40:11 am »
We sowed them in February once and were very lucky - the subsequent years we had next to none as the weather was so different and last year hubby did some weeding resulting in the loss of nearly all seedlings...
So they'll break through the cardboard allright? Toilet rolls it is, then  :)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:19 am »
yes - i planted them in feb last year direct into warm soil. The diary shows it was 16 degrees last year - i.e a 30 degree difference in temperature compared to last Saturday at noon. Just shows how we can't garden by a planner.
I can not even see my veg patch but have no plans to erect the plastic greenhouse either. Think I'll see how it is next week.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 12:57:23 am »
I did read somewhere that you can start them off on damp blotting paper (or similiar) indoors until they just start producing a root then plant out.  Can't remember when though or where I read it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS