Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on local Garden centers..please!  (Read 3721 times)

sandy

Advice on local Garden centers..please!
« on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:58 am »
Now this one does not require brains!! I want to buy a good, locally grown fruit tree that should be resilient to local conditions, Most I have been to seem to be a bit like supermarkets with pre packaged hot house grown stuff, I like looking at them but sometimes you want something a bit different.  I suppose only local  people would know but anywhere around Clackmannanshire, Stirling or Dunfmline and is there a good garden center in Dunblaine? can't seem t o find one on goggle. Thanks, I will be off some where to buy one this weekend!!!!!!

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Advice on local Garden centers..please!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:37:48 am »
there are quite a few
with few of them not sure if they are till open so best to ring around and ask them first
(this is just clackmannanshire and stirling)

Greenyards Garden Centre Address: Greenyard Garden Centre, Bannockburn, Stirling, Stirlingshire, FK7 8AD

* Telephone: 01786 817369
http://www.scoot.co.uk/Scotland/Stirlingshire/Stirling/Greenyards-Garden-Centre-CGGG188.html

Guyana Ltd
Address: Main Street, Aberfoyle, Stirling, Stirlingshire, FK8 3UQ

Telephone: 01877 382308

Dobbies Garden World
Address: Drip Road, Bridge of Allan, Stirling, Stirlingshire, FK9 4ST

Telephone: 01786 458860

Klondyke Garden Centre
Address: Glasgow Road, Whins of Milton, Stirling, Stirlingshire, FK7 0LN

Telephone: 01786 816167

Hillfoots Nurseries
Address: Dollar Road, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, FK13 6PF

Telephone: 01259 751819

Balmyre Horticultural Unit (austic centre so not sure of oppening times)
Address: Woodhead Place, Coalsnaughton, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, FK13 6LQ

Telephone: 01259 750771

Kennetpans Garden Centre
Address: Kennet Pans Garden Centre, Clackmannan, Clackmannanshire, FK10 4BW

Telephone: 01259 730201

Sterling Garden Centre
Address: Moss Road, Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire, FK13 6NS

Telephone: 01259 752945

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:39:53 am by Fluffywelshsheep »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:40:13 am »
There's a good garden centre in Armadale that would have what you're looking for. If I want to buy a "proper" plant and not just a few bedding plants or something cheap from the supermarket, I always go there. It might be a bit far away for you though. Its totally independant, family run, and here's the website below.

http://www.millgardencentre.co.uk/

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:20:23 am »
not quit what you are looking for but...........i got my fruit trees from Deacons Nursery's/ They are darn sarf in the isel of wight, but they gave me loads of advice on the varieties that are suited for northern conditions and polination partners and the varieties to buy if yo uwant to have as long a fruiting season as possible

they also advised which of the late crops is teh best one for storing so you can keep your last harvest for as long as possible

i planted 10 from there a month or so back, maybe a little more, and they are coming along grand. I bought 2-5 year old plants so i can get a harvest sooner rather than later.

they'll also advise the best size/rootstock to fit the space available

oh, and one thing i can't stress enough - BUY TREE GUARDS!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:51:42 pm »
Sandy, drive through to Lanark - there are masses of them on that road!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 01:14:33 pm »
I know, we used to stay in Strathaven and regularly went to Garden centers there, the road is a bit twisty and turny, trouble is we were renting a house so no need for plants, just bought Christmas stuff. Robin is going to treat us to a tree (I think) he stays somewhere just outside of Lanark and he was on about one in Dunblaine, do you know of one there? Me and Steve have been to loads of them around this area as when we moved in we had some vouchers to spend at them, it was great fun, I like the one in Tillicoultry in the furniture complex, they have some hardened stuff usually and are not too badly priced.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »
Might be a Dobbies?  They have a website where you can find all the different centres - here's a nursery in Dunblane, maybe this is what Robin means

Stockbridge Nursery
Kilbryde
Dunblane
Perthshire
FK15 9ND

Telephone: 01786 821515

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:45 pm »
We bought our trees this morning from Hillfoots Nursery, Tillicoultry from  dutchman who has been there for 30 years or so, his plants certainly look hardy, we will see! We have a pear tree and two apple trees, thanks for the avdvice all, time was limited.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS