Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cant wait!  (Read 3451 times)

princesspiggy

cant wait!
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »
we can pick up our shetland bull calf in a week or two. cant wait!
my heifers are looking a bit plump, hopefully thats a baby belly and not "a minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips syndrome!".

a quick question - this is our first ever bull and i was advised not too handle him too much or halter train him cos that can make them too familiar and dangerous. i can understand that way of thinking as we have a bottle fed ram lamb who has no fear and no respect, and is a bit of a b****r.
coming from a horsey background, id much rather be able to put a halter on the bull, so i can show/load him etc, especially as we dont have crushes and races here, and he'l probably be going out to stud occasionally. i know on shetland they are halter trained as they are tied all winter.

any wisdom to share?
our heifers are halter trained but have never been pushy.
thanks

robert waddell

Re: cant wait!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:53:44 pm »
with males of any species you have to be cautious       bulls are better trained to lead      if you need to handle him it is better halter trained    especially with no propper facilities on site  what age is he

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:29:13 pm »
Does he have a nose ring? If not, you can get a thing called a bulldog that clips into the nose, a bit like a clip earring. You see a lot of folk showing using them for heifers and cows that might be a bit excitable.

Make sure he's nice and quiet  ;D

Can't wait to see him. He's a half brother to the bullock we've got - both by Gillarunna Nocturne, I think.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »
Bulls are normally handled from weaning, halter trained to walk and stand tied up for long periods. Talk to him ,comb and brush but never allow him to use his size and weight to push you, best not to stand in front of him and stroke his head better by the shoulder stroking neck and body. Treat him as you would a stallion with firm respect

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:19:21 pm »
hes weaned the day the we get him, i think hes 6 or 7 months or so.
i dont know about the nosering, never thought to ask. is there an age limit to putting one in?
i wasnt happy with the idea of not halter training him but didnt want to the wrong thing. i will halter train him when he comes, just not mollicoddle him. they might be shetlands but  they are still solid brutes especially mature bulls.
thanks

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:34:28 pm »
the vet will fit the copper ring    it is easier to restrain them with a ring     bulls are usually shown with a halter and a rope in the ring :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:28:55 pm »
we have brought him home. hes been knocked down a peg or two by our Daala, but secretly they think he is the bees knees!
hes having alot of fun fighting with the spruce trees...lol...they are up by the house just now so im hoping he'l follow the girls back down the road to their field later  ::) ::)
hes still shouting for his mama so just hoping hes stays here!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »
Congratulations! He looks great!

He looks like a different animals from each side - does that make sense?

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:41:45 pm »
Congratulations! He looks great!

He looks like a different animals from each side - does that make sense?

i thought that when i looked at the pictures as well

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »
i love his markings, i always wanted a black n white one, my 2 girls just have white bellies.
my girls are usually very vocal and now they are even worse. hes only little yet, 6 mths.
he spent ages attacking the lower branches of the spruces, it must have felt good! they are in their field no problem.
thats my mini herd complete - 3 beasties and their followers is enough for me...lol...all for a pint of milk!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS