Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Security fencing for a chicken pen  (Read 8208 times)

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Security fencing for a chicken pen
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:22 pm »
Hi there anyone, just wondering if any of you poultry keeper here on the forum have ever used those meshed security fencing type panels for  keeping in hens?? If so then id be grateful if anyone could give me any info such as how good they are , or bad. And what sort of money tey've paid , if they wish to disclose that. :D :D

many thanks

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Security fencing for a chicken pen
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:16 pm »
  I soooo wanted pallisade fencing for my pigs (cut in half and buried a little) and chickens (full height),but getting them from the Uk to here would have been a nightmare. My better half sort of works in the industry and could probably have got them at cost (plus a little bit),but as I said,transport would have been the issue.
  I can't think of anything more suited to a chicken run for ease of use and security. They sell a similar thing out here,green plastic coated,but tres expensive and they don't do the height you'd want for a run. You'll probably get them second-hand from scaffolders,most "big"companies aren't allowed to sell ex-rental stock of that nature now because of H&S. Keep us up to date and make me jealous!......... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:33:58 pm »
Where are you currently living then ??

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:41:05 pm »
France now,check out the Member Map. I know I could have probably sourced pallisade fencing out here,but definately not at the price of the Uk,and when we moved in,fencing was the number one priority.........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:32:27 pm »
What is it called?  From a googling point of view?  I can't find it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wellieboots

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:18:05 am »
Its commonly called "Harris" or "Herris" fencing & is used throughout the construction industry. So best bet is to lok around for some construction suppliers. Only downside is that the uprights aren't that long at the base as they fit into pre-formed concrete blocks, so trying to bury them into soil etc. would be hard. Best to get the pre-formed concrete blocks as well as the end uprights just slot straight into them. Oh and it is heavy fencing too!!

Hope this helps

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 09:25:28 am »
Heras temporary fenceing. Item number: 230329670070   on ebay.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 10:09:21 am »
I would love some heras fencing for my birds. A friend uses it and it is really easy to shift about and make new runs. it is just a bit awkward to transport unless you have a decent size vehicle or trailer. I see loads of it just chucked away from building sites and I wish I had a flat back truck and a helping hand. It can be dug in a bit and just bolts together to form whatever size run you need.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 04:57:02 pm »
i was thinking of using this stuff for a "day" run - that i could leave them out in to run about the grass (and out of my raised beds!!)

it wouldn't be a hardship to move it onto a different bit of the garden either to give the grass a break.

i've got a more secure "fox proof" run for them for evenings and when i'm not going to be at home

i was just gonna go round the building sites and try to pick up some cheap.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 10:55:32 pm »
If I had a man about the place i could get him to do that too. ;D  I could do with some of that stuff to let my birds have a bit more freedom and not get retrieved all the time. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 11:20:21 pm »
**cough** T in the Park **cough**

We have one bit of fencing- used to have a few more that we, ahem, "liberatated" from T in the Park (we used to live next door). Sadly I don't think they use the same good stuff any more.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS