Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I plant the same thing in the same place twice?  (Read 9522 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Can I plant the same thing in the same place twice?
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:18:40 pm »
Hi  :farmer:

Can I plant my beans and peas in the same place as last year and if so what do I need to add to the soil, can I do the same with my spuds and onions?

the place each one occupied last year was realyl the best spot for each of them, support for the peas, water for the spuds, sandy soil for the carrots etc.

Buffy

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: Can I plant the same thing in the same place twice?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
I asked the same question a few weeks back and the consensus for Runner Beans was yes - if you keep your frame but dig out a trench and fill with muck and compost. Since they are big feeders and luv water this seems sensible and saves on having to dismantle and rebuild the bean frame. oh -Some suggest old papers to retain moisture at the bottom of the trench.

Not sure about peas though.
Martin :thumbsup:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »
It's worth moving your tatties around because you manure the soil thoroughly for them, so another crop benefits from that the following year.  Some think it makes a difference to blight too, but blight spores are airborn so if you're going to get it, you're going to get it  ::)

Onions really do need a move as their diseases are soil-borne.  Carrots too but not vital.

If you keep your beans and peas in the same place you need to replenish the nutrient content of the soil.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:01:23 pm »
i had really poor results from the beans i grew in the same place twice, even tho i had added loads of good compost, i wont be doing that again! spuds i would move and definitley onions. carrots i would risk twice.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »
Yes I rotate all veg and heap on lots of compost and muck but I really dont want to move the sturdy runner bean frame around every year. Changing the soil and heaping fresh compost is preferable to me - luv digging and good exercise  ;D
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mel

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:36:26 pm »
 :wave:
I have had my runners,broad beans and onions in the same beds for 3 years now and have always done very well,mind you,I always dig in new green manure and I  use bone meal or fish blood and bone as a top up if need be,you cannot beat the stuff!

I always allow the old beans/vegetation to rot back into the soil.plant different flowers or another veg in amongst the rows of my onions which seems to work for me anyhow.

I do change tata's ,though last year I grew the majority in dustbins and such. ;D

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:44:21 pm »
As far as I know onions & asparagus are the only crop that may be always grown in the same bed providing you deep manure with aged well composted manure  a few weeks before planting them .
The rest all benefit frorm crop rotation if only to starve out any bugs that enjoy the previous crop & to help drop any disease in the soil that would affect more of the same crop in the same bed ..
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:46:52 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:49:38 pm »
potato's in particular shouldn't be planted in the same place twice, they are particularly prone to disease build up in the soil!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS