Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garden plants - poisonous?  (Read 7697 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Garden plants - poisonous?
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
Sometimes we let our sheep into the garden to have a nibble at the lawn (don't worry, no weedkillers etc and it used to be field), but given half a chance they will start on the shrubs.  In particular they make a bee-line for Griselina, Pittosporum and Hebe - which are all New Zealand plants used as evergreen shelter belts here in the South-West.  Does anyone know if they are used as forage in their native country?  The sheep are used to browsing the hedges and eat the young shoots of a lot of our native trees.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: Garden plants - poisonous?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:09:36 pm »
I don't know what is poisonous to sheep, but most of the evergreen plants are to be avoided with horses as they can be very toxic - especially plants such as yew and laurel, so I tend to use the same caution with the sheep and make sure there is nothing like that they can get access to.  They can and do eat all kinds of shrubs and trees - I found this out to my cost when they got into my garden and ring barked two of my favourite trees which subsequently died  :-\
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38:57 pm »
My rule of thumb is that evergreens are poisonous.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:24:30 pm »
Funnily enough I PM'd Remy on this topic earlier, I've been told Ivy is very good
For sheep that won't eat as it gets their appetite going again. So not all evergreens are bad,
That said mine did get I'll eating something and it cost a vet bill to sort them out.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:30:34 am »
Years ago I had a wall poster that gave information on poisonous plants. Where I got it from though :-\ :-\ but I'm sure you'll find one on-line.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:59:21 am »
www.canaryzoo.com/poisonous%20plant%20list.htm
Interestingly this site lists Ivy as poisonous which conflicts with my farmer friends advice which I mentioned earlier,
yet another site says they can eat ivy leaves in moderation ( not berries though ).
As with all these things there is conflicting advice and opinions, which is probably why a lot of us struggle !!
Also if only the sheep would read the books.  :D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:05:45 pm »
My rule of thumb is that evergreens are poisonous.

Best keep them off the grass then.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:39:31 pm by henchard »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS