Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: (Sort of) Blackrock Cockerel Free To Good Home (South Wales, Newport area)  (Read 8747 times)

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
Hi there,
     I've got two Blackrock cockerels here and I only need the one, so the other one has to go. They're roughly six months old and very smart. Free to a good home, even if you only want him to eat. I can't bring myself to kill one and prepare for eating. My phone number is 07890051743 and they're located in Blackwood, NP12.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:29:42 am by recoil »

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: Blackrock Cockerel Free To Good Home (South Wales, Newport area)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:34:34 pm »
I'm to far away and not needing another male as it stands, but could you post a picture of them,

i didn't' think you could get male black rocks??  or am i just naive

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »
If it is a propper official black rock you cant get a cock.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »
i knew there was something about black rocks! thanks my mind is at ease  :thumbsup:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:08:02 am »
I no some cocks get through iv been a agent for 18 months naw and 2 have been found.iv onley ever seen 1 full grown very good looking cock birds.this yere im breeding /black rock burrey ford brown.

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:47 pm »
If it is a propper official black rock you cant get a cock.

We bought around 50 Blackrock day olds from Scotland and had one cockerel, 49 hens. One of the hens hatched out 3 eggs herself and we got 2 cockerels and 1 hen. The original cockerel has gone as he was nasty, so the two available now are ones we've hatched out. They're nice looking birds, I'll get some photos.  :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:14:14 am »
When Black Rocks hatch, of course you will get cockerels but the hybrid is sex linked so the cockerels are quickly dispatched at the hatchery. If you do get a male, it is like the female Black Rock in that it will not breed true because it is a hybrid.

Breed a BR cockerel to a BR hen, you won't get Black Rocks.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:22:20 am »

True Rosemary, but it would be fun to find out what you WOULD get!   We hatched some barred plymouth rocks this summer, to run with 'Roger', our RIR cockerel, and hopefully produce some Rhoadie Rocks of our own.

Unfortunately, the plymouth rocks all turned out to be boys (and wow, aren't they stunning)!  But what would I get if I ran one with some RIR girls?  Black rock, Rack Block, perhaps even a Rockie Rhoad?  ;D Can anyone advise?!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:58 am »
Thats right but some do breed true the burreford brown cuckoo marran/copper black marran the black rock bared plimouth rock road island red. you would get black rock off sorts .the bared plimouth rock was made off 3 breeds before the war then after 4 breeds ,the road is not true ether ,the strain to breed road island red was from america and is 60 yeares old The only commercial brown egg laying hybrid proven for over 25 years to be genetically suitable for free range; Black Rocks originate from the Harco/Arbor Acres breeders of America. They are a true first-cross hybrid from especially selected strains of Rhode Island Red (male line) and a Barred Plymouth Rock (female line). Probably the most successful hybrid for modern free range. its a shame that breeds have been spoilt and are not whot you think they are .i dont think you would get proper road or bared rock in the uk .the breeder would need stock from the 50 or the 60s to be true ,iv got bared rock and iv D N A D them the 3 bands that make the bird true is not strong .this is the big 1 off the block                        http://www.johnstonspoultry.com/   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:29:29 am by Victorian Farmer »

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:29:10 am »
I see. Ah well, still free if anyone wants one. Just tried to take some photos but battery has died so will get some later. So what breed would you call the Cockerel? Blackrock X, Blackrock mongrel?

Victorian Farmer

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
Re: (Sort of) Blackrock Cockerel Free To Good Home (South Wales, Newport area)
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:35:33 pm »
OK, so here's a couple of photos. If anyone would like one please ring me.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »
He looks very good love to no his make up.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57:18 pm »
Oooh, he's a stunner!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

recoil

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 03:21:21 pm »
Yeah, they're very handsome birds. It's hard to tell from the photos, but one of them has yellow feet and the other has slightly blacky/grey feet more like the hens and also slightly different markings.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS