Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eggs or chicks????  (Read 2355 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Eggs or chicks????
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:45:06 pm »
Ok, this is probably a really basic question, but i've not been able to find an answer to it via google

I'm planning on getting chicks (i'll get a proper book all about it nearer the time), primarily i'll want them for the pot, so i'll need a cockeral too (see, the schools haven't failed society that much!)

However, i'll also want to keep some of the eggs for eating.

Now, I know that if i'm keeping them for eggs, it's just a case of popping down and collecting the eggs daily. However, if there is a cockeral involved in the equation, these eggs may be fertilised. so are they ok for popping straight into the fridge and then into my breakfast omelette?

or will i need to keep the dirty perverted cockeral away from the girls until i decide i want some chicks?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Eggs or chicks????
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:57:38 pm »
You can eat the eggs no problem. It is only if they are kept warm for a certain length of time that anything starts to develop. Straight into the fridge and you will enjoy your own eggs. Hope this helps.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 03:13:50 pm »
it helps perfectly!!!

i knew there was no way folk kept them apart.

and i suppose it explains why there is no mention of it in any article - as it isn't really an issue you have to worry about.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:51:39 pm »
for some reason fertile eggs seem to make yorkshire puds rise better.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 06:48:08 pm »
I do NOT believe you just said that ;) :o :o :o :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS