Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newbie in wets exmoor  (Read 4092 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
newbie in wets exmoor
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:49:15 am »
Of course I meant west. But thinking about it, wet Exmoor is actually more accurate! 

We bought our holding last year and now getting serious about livestock (hence need for advice and opinions!). Currently have a few hens, but aiming to breed rare poultry and perhaps other RB animals (if we don't, real farmers certainly won't).

Purchased some sheep over the last few months - Greyface dartmoors (RB) and Shetlands. Waiting for two to lamb right this minute (knackered, can hardly keep eyes open, what'll it be like next year with 20?).

Looking for RB ducks, 2 no. Dexter cattle, 2-4 no. Golden Guernsey Goats, weaner pigs (Large Blacks, GOS or other rare breeds). Also a collie bitch from good lines and of course a dartmoor GF and Shetland ram. Great to hear if anyone in N Devon/ west Exmoor has any stock.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: newbie in wets exmoor
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:05:13 am »
Hello and welcome  :)

I'm near Bideford and can help with GOS weaners when you are ready.

www.fordmillfarm.co.uk

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:13:49 am »
Hi and welcome from overcast Carnoustie :wave:

If you have room for cattle and want to support a rare breed, can I suggest that you consider the Shetland over the Dexter (which isn't a rare breed)?

We have Shetlands (hence the bias) but they really ARE rare and need support. Don't know why they are rare as they are small, thrifty, hardy, bonny, good natured (at least ours are - see videos on the main website and the forums), suitable for beef and milk (and the beef is superb - ask Andrew and Ayeskint on here, who both had it for lunch yesterday). If you want any more information, contact the Sheland Cattle Breeders Association - the Secretary is immensely helpful and will put you in touch with breeders in your area who will be happy to show off their stock.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:30:16 am »
Julie - thx, will give you a call in a month or so, once lambs are settled. 

Rosemary, thx for recommendation regarding Shetland cattle. I a making some enquiries already!  As I am at 1000ft and want to farm in a low impact way, then hardy livestock is what I am after (did think about organic, but with only 20 acres, not cost effective as the costs are quite high and with extra paperwork not worth it).
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »
Welcome smudger  :wave: from equally if not more wets north Cumbria!

I used to be in Exmoor and aroundabout that area, only left because farms had become too expensive for actual farmers to buy!

There's a flock of Shetland sheep (or there were) in North Devon, can't quite remember where but they sell their meat and fleece (or did do) at Lynton Farmers' Market among others.

You'll be members of DASH?

As to what'll it be like with 20 sheep - actually I think it's easier with a few more, as there's more happening keeping you busy.  Watching and waiting and wondering is tiring!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:56:11 pm »
Welcome from Cumbria

If you are looking for RB Cattle i would go with Rosemary on chooseing Shetlands as we were pointed in there direction via this forum and now the proud owners of two Heifers and looking to buy more. The Shetland Cattle Breeders' Association (SCBA). www.shetlandcattle.org.uk are so helpfull and at the end of the phone for advice.

Welcome to the forum again  :wave:

"A good farmer is nothing more nor less than a handy man with a sense of humus"

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum from central scotland :wave: :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »
Welcome from Worcestershire  :wave:

Good luck with the RB's!! looking forward to hearing how you are getting on.

I'm having 2 ewe's scanned tomorrow to see if we are lambing so I might be joining you in the watchign and waiting game soon!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »
hi from cornwall :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 08:11:28 pm »
To whet your appetite, smudger

First photo is of our bullock, Henry, at five days old. Second photo is off his mother.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 08:12:44 pm »
No, the first one is of Henry's dam. This one is of Henry at 5 days old.

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:08 pm »
Hi and welcome from a wet Cardigan Bay  :wave:  Love the pics Rosemary :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 10:49:20 pm »
 :wave:  Hi and welcome from rainy Shropshire.

Lovely looking beasts Rosemary.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 02:12:03 pm »
Thanks for all the posts. Been busying lambing. Hard work. about 6hrs sleep since sunday night. I have a post in sheep, need help and advice.

coppergon

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 09:09:43 pm »
Are you still looking for some of this livestock?? We have Golden Guernseys, Large Black weaners and Large Black gilts if you are still interested. Mid Cornwall area!!  :goat: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS