Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost some sheep :-(  (Read 8041 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Lost some sheep :-(
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
Hiya Remy

sorry to hear you lost sheep but glad to hear this one seems to be picking up!

I've been reading this thread with interest as I am so new to having sheep of my own and while the sheep co-operative kept their stock on our land, one of them dropped dead and I am now trying to get ontop of a worm problem with the 2 I've bought from them. So thank you for sharing you experience, its helping me - and I hope that the replies you've received have been helpful to you also  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 10:17:39 am »
Hiya Remy

sorry to hear you lost sheep but glad to hear this one seems to be picking up!

I've been reading this thread with interest as I am so new to having sheep of my own and while the sheep co-operative kept their stock on our land, one of them dropped dead and I am now trying to get ontop of a worm problem with the 2 I've bought from them. So thank you for sharing you experience, its helping me - and I hope that the replies you've received have been helpful to you also  :)

Hi, I'm glad my experiences are of help  :).  If nothing else the problems I've had with these sheep have taught me to be extra vigilant with them all (I'm paranoid about checking rear ends for scours now!).  Also I'm much more aware of looking out for any signs of a sheep being more quiet than usual, or not as enthusiastic about food, as it's been staggering how quickly they can go from being slightly off to knocking at death's door.  In my limited experience I have had an adult sheep just drop dead whilst not showing obvious signs of illness, and I've lost a lamb to flystrike very quickly.  Flystrike is awful and I've had to deal with it many times, so I can spot the symptoms of that very quickly.  It even affected my poor old pony (I didn't know horses could get it, but apparently they can, although it's not common) and I had to shave his entire tail off!

Strangely this little lamb seemed far more poorly than her sister, who died, who knows why some survive and some don't!  I do get the impression a lot of them give up quite easily  ::)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:49 pm »
It's as the old shepherds say, a sheep has two ambitions to escape and to die ::) ::)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 02:59:19 pm »
Glad she is looking better! Do you know David Barlow from the Gotland sheep society? He is a lovely chap and lives near me and is a very useful mine of info re Gotlands. I have had several including a nice ram that I crossed with wensleydales. Gotland should not be bony....they are a different shape to something such as a texel but still not bony! The spinous processes along the back should be very well covered! Do you use a pour on against flystrike? I would recommend using one if you have had a lot of strike occuring. :)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »
Glad she is looking better! Do you know David Barlow from the Gotland sheep society? He is a lovely chap and lives near me and is a very useful mine of info re Gotlands. I have had several including a nice ram that I crossed with wensleydales. Gotland should not be bony....they are a different shape to something such as a texel but still not bony! The spinous processes along the back should be very well covered! Do you use a pour on against flystrike? I would recommend using one if you have had a lot of strike occuring. :)

Yes I have spoken to David, he seems very nice.  Hmmm, mine are having adlib hay and mix every day, and are still rather boney across the back - even my little ram who is looking rather rotund around the belly area, is also boney in the same area ???. Well I will send David a message and ask his advice!

Yes I use Crovect, but flystrike does seem a bit prevalent here - I will probably have them shorn earlier this year.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:19 pm »
im not sheep expert at all. but when i first got mine, i used panacur yet they always seemed to be too slim. they were alot better after i changed to oramec wormer.
good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS