Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: duckling food ?  (Read 2863 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
duckling food ?
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:08 am »
i am interested in what food to give ducklings. i don't really like buying the premixed unknown of pellets or mash and would like to use basic ingredients but can't find any articles that don't just blindly say go for a product. i know they need a higher protein to start with, about 20% for the first few weeks, then decrease down to the usual 16%. and calcium is important too.

does anyone know what was used before we all bought everything in prepacks? oats? bran/midlings?

i have heard people say they feed cooked egg to chicks but that really doesn't sound right to me. they absorb the yolk yes, but not digest it? and what is the white/albumen do/go?!?!

thanks for your help

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: duckling food ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:40:36 am »
I'm afraid I feed mine the pre bought started crumb before they go onto layers pellets, wheat etc. I was told you could only give ducklings a bit yolk from a bolied egg in the first 24 hours and it was a big NO NO to give any after that time. Hope this helps a bit.

James

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 01:43:01 pm »
Yes, that's what we gave ours when they were weak on their first days -  chopped up boiled eggyolk with minced dandelion leaves. I did as I was told the old ways were before chick crumbs were invented. I would now opt for those though, to be honest. :&>

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:39 am »
I have 6 ducklings hatched by a broody hen.  They were offered proprietary duck food which they ignore, preferring the older birds' corn feed.  The incubator ducklings were fed on proprietary duck food for the first 3 weeks.  Once they too were free ranging they preferred a more natural diet.  There is very little difference in growth rate.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS