Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of getting some alpines  (Read 9460 times)

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Thinking of getting some alpines
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 11:29:19 am »
Lesley
If you go on the Boer Goat Members website there are contacts in
Knighton
Welshpool
Kidderminster
Bridgnorth

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »
Hi, we are on the Lincs/Notts border near Dunham bridge and we breed 100% registered Boers + one 85% boer, please get in touch if you would like any info or just a visit & a chat.
Regards Ann

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 09:27:54 pm »
All this Alpine knocking has to stop  ;D My mum kept British Alpines throughout my childhood and she regularly showed them ( every weekend in the summer, I was dragged along) and entered them in milking comps. When she eventually gave up just after the foot and mouth outbreak, her girls were of a really high standard. Mum preferred the Alpines over all the other breeds because of their so called faults. However maybe they aren't the breed for a novice to start with. I do remember having to help mum show the goats and even the kids were able to drag me around the show-ring  :o  If I were to keep dairy goats then I would go for Alpines as they are full of character.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 10:00:09 pm »
Curry has a bit too much character for my liking.  Just as well - it'll make it easier to eat him when the time comes.  He is white like mum but with alpine body which is not a meat goat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS