Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rosemary.... The herb, not the smallholder! :-)  (Read 13121 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Rosemary.... The herb, not the smallholder! :-)
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:36:04 pm »
Evening all.

Roasting my tatties (bought!) for dinner with Rosemary (also bought!) and wondered if grown from seed would I get a 'harvest' this year? Alternatively it's gonna have to be a small shop bought plant?

Thanks

J

deepinthewoods

Re: Rosemary.... The herb, not the smallholder! :-)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:56:08 pm »
rosemary's a small shrub, youd be better off getting a medium plant rather than a small one, then using it as it grows.
 after a few years itll eventually get too leggy and a tip i got somewhere was to dig a pit big enough for the whole leggy plant and put it in and bury it up to the tips each of which will then regrow into a new plant.  never tried it myself tho!

time to start thinking about this years new spuds too!

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:12 pm »
Thanks for that! And your correct... I am thinking about spuds! Feel free to comment on my 'tatties' posting!

J

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:06:53 pm »
My rosemary in the polytunnel has not stopped growing. I cut half back and then dry the herb for storing, then the other half gets cut back the next year.I dont know why I dry it as it is fresh all year , must be the squirrel in me. Cutting are the easiest to do as well.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:14 pm »
John, we have some small plants growing from cuttings....Marcus says you can have one. they are small....but by summer they will have grown enough for you to trim carefully to go with your new potatos!! and smoked trout..

note to self- 'must practice with the smoker before trying on anything valuable'

Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:52:00 pm »
Superb Emma! I'm also looking for a log cabin, a conservatory and four acres if you are able to help further!!! :-D

I'll give you a few trout to practice on anytime you like! Just say the word. And thanks for the offer of Rosemary! I'm gonna give up growing my own stuff and just nick it off you! Much less hassle! :-)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 09:02:17 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
ET

If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:02:10 pm »
I have grown rosemary from seed and cuttings in the past and have been successful on both counts but it does take a while to get a good size from seed.
I have some seed going in this year but they will be 2013 plants to use and I'll probably take a few cuttings as well.
I find they make goos presents as well as having rosemary all around the garden as I just love the smell, I love to hang some under the tap when I run a bath.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:54 pm »
glad I found this thread I've got some rosemary seeds coming through in vermiculite ....can any one advise me roughtly what height do they atain and what sort of footprint do they cover  please ?
 I'm asking because I want to place them out in the full sun of the front raised beds and don't want to smother too many other plants.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 07:50:00 am »
after a couple of years, 2ft tall and 3ft round.

Mel

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:15 am »
Mine is as large as deepinthewoods said,but this year it is really woods so I shall take the tip of the pit! can Rosemary be split up or cuttings taken?

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 09:13:20 am »
I miss my Rosemary. In the UK i used to have a few of them (different varieties) Some quite large 4/5 foot+. I keep trying to overwinter the plants but appart from a straggly looking thing that survived inside last year all the wrapping up outside has failed. We have now decided to use it as an anual, bought in about now (cheap at 2 euros or so) They are quite decent plants, and last the whole summer.In sept/Oct I cut and dry all the nice green bits to dry for use, throw the rest and start again next year.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 05:08:18 pm »
leghorn, dig a hole nearly as deep as the plant is tall, dig the plant up and replant it into the hole, leaving just the growing tips showing, then in a few months youll have loads of little rooted rosemary plants, ready to be given as gifts for remembrance....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS