Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Grants £££  (Read 3254 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
New Grants £££
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:53:57 pm »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: New Grants £££
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:40:18 pm »
These are excellent schemes, aimed (unusually rather successfully, I think) at improving standards in UK agriculture.

We used a grant of this type to help us refurbish our cubicle shed last year.  Without the grant we would have taken longer and, whilst we would have ended up with comfortable cattle, we would not have had such good facilities and would certainly not have bought mattresses (I kid you not.)  Having got them with the grant's help, I would certainly make a case to any farmer for the additional spend.

I've been told that it was lucky we went for the refurbishment when we did, as the new scheme would not cover what we did.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »
I don't suppose it covers back gardens even those is says micro.  :(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:48:40 pm »
but there's no harm in asking! ;)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:32:41 am »
You ask and then let me know.   ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:19:41 am »
Regretably not in Scotland  :(

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:45:12 am »
Am I on my own when I say I dont want a grant. If I cant do this on my own then I see it as failiure. Maybe that is the way I have been brought up too proud,independant and a strong work ethic ... or silly when everyone else is claiming. I can understand the nations food producers having grants but smallholders that choose to live that lifestyle.   mmmm? What does everyone else think. Nice replies only please everyone has different opinions.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:11:46 am »
I kinda agree with you Hermit. If it was a business that couldn't support itself without extra assistance then it wouldn't be viable and wouldn't make sense to run it. But there's been a history of farmers being subsidised for what they do through SFP schemes etc due to the lack of profit they have. Not that I've ever been eligable for that as sadly pigs aren't generally subsidised  :(
We made the decision to do what we do and have sunk in thousands of pounds of our own cash over the last couple of years to get things up and running. It would be lovely to get handed a hefty contribution towards fencing the remaining 100 acres plus or sorting the drainage issues or even to make the shed a bit more luxurious (my pigs are jealous of your cows and their mattresses Sally  :D) it's not something I expect to happen, but if I was able to apply I think I'd have a go - just in case  ;)
We'd love to have our own licenced cutting & plant, but with estimates of around £8000 for building work & equipment - it's going to be a long time saving  :-\
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:24:22 am »
as rosemary says these grants do not cover Scotland  but three is grants that do cover Scotland
and farming and farming related businesses do get them     they are publicised every  year tour local enterprise what ever it is called  should point you in the right direction    but they keep tabs on you and can claim the money back

Karen i could comment on the forestry as well but it would be taken the wrong way :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS