Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread  (Read 2837 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Bread
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:02:21 am »
I am being given a load of bread long term.  The girls are delighted.  According to everything I've read, goats can have bread but not too much.  Can anyone tell me how much is too much?  I don't want to make them ill or too full to eat anything else but I don't want to be throwing bread away and there is a limit to how much OH can eat. I'm gluten intolerant so can't help unfortunately. :(

chickenfeed

Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:47 am »
 :wave:they will thank you even more if you dry the bread out in a oven, goats love it ! set the oven to a low temp and bake until dried this also helps in keeping the bread preserved no moisture to send it mouldy.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:56 am »
Thanks, I'll try this.  Could have a big bag full of it cubed then.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:45:44 pm »
If you are getting more than you think you should feed your own, how about swapping some for produce (hens/geese for eggs etc) ?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:16:15 am »
Good idea.  I have a friend with hens who might like to do a swap.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:53:06 am »
:wave:they will thank you even more if you dry the bread out in a oven, goats love it ! set the oven to a low temp and bake until dried this also helps in keeping the bread preserved no moisture to send it mouldy.

You're right.  They loved it.  thanks.

chickenfeed

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:35:23 pm »
 :wave: your welcome. stored in plastic bags or bins it keeps for months once dried out.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 12:03:46 am »
Also been given a carrier bag on various crackers just because they'd reached their use by date.  Some people are so fussy.  My girls aren't though.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS