Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not Really poultry but?  (Read 2202 times)

nigelish

• Joined Jan 2009
Not Really poultry but?
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:56:11 am »
Hi Everyone,
Had a busy weekend, got 6 polish crested bantam chicks and 3 blue Indian runner ducklings from an auction in Hereford Rare breeds sale, in small runs at the moment busy building two aviaries one for ducks and chicks and one for a pair of golden pheasants, thats what the question is about, I am getting some diamond doves for the upper level but my wife wants to include some quail (either Bob white or Californian) in the same aviary I am sure they would get attacked by the Cock pheasant and am asking if any other member has any experience of this? The aviaries are 34' X 12' so are a good size, any thoughts please.

Nigel :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Not Really poultry but?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:31:00 pm »
As far as I know Quail are difficult to keep.  They are a bit like sheep in tat they are born with a death wish!

If you have them in with other birds I think they would attack them as you suspect, and they attack each other too.  I wanted to keep some but was warned against it.  They are also susceptible to our climate I believe and need to be in a shed or barn rather than outside in open runs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS