Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farm dog killed my two ex-batts  (Read 4247 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Farm dog killed my two ex-batts
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
I feel bad for being upset by this as people on here have had such horrible things happening recently but I was really sad.  This morning I found the next door farm dog eating an ex-batt, after having killed another one just before.

What makes this sad is that one of them, nick-named Skinny Minny, was the most friendliest hen ever.  Since we rescued her in October she hardly grew any top feathers (just downy ones) yet had so much energy and was the liveliest of them all.

I chased the farm dog who still had a chain attached to him.  So I went round to see the farmer and he was very sympathetic and offered to pay for replacements (of course for ex-batts there is no price on their little heads).  The dog had worn his chain away so now has a new one (I'm torn with this too as I hate to see them tethered even if he is a working dog).  But now they know he is a chicken killer he said they would keep an extra eye on him.  Sorry for rambling.

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Farm dog killed my two ex-batts
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:28:53 pm »
You sound very upset so probably need a good ramble.  :(Sorry to hear about the loss, I'm glad the farmer didn't just shrug his shoulders and ignore the problem, it sounds as if he feels bad and at least offered you replacements. I would get two more, then at least you are giving two more a chance of life. We have to watch our dogs and can't leave them out on their own with the hens for very long. If you get two more, maybe you can keep them in a fenced off pen with a coop, that way you know they are safe from foxes as well as dogs.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:14:22 pm »
As my dogs are hunter/retrievers I have to keep my hens in a run too, but my trainer says he can stop them chasing the chickens so I am hopeful.  They do stop on the whistle and if I spot a chicken roaming having jumped the fence, before they do, I can get them back.  I would never tether my dogs and I let my chickens free range when I know the dogs are inside.  I have had a few losses over the years so I know how you feel.  It seems such a waste when you have put so much effort (and love) into getting them out of their cages and nurturing them for this to happen.  I heard recently of one chicken farmer giving up battery hens as they couldn't afford to put in the new cages - result!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »
Oh, I'm sorry {{{hugs}}} I'm glad you got a good response from the farmer and that they're going to keep an eye on that dog now. Doesn't help with losing a hen you were fond of though I know  :-*

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:07:14 pm »
What a horrid thing to have happen.   :bouquet:   Thank goodness it seems to have been a one-off - although as others have said, the dog knows where it can get a tasty meal now...  I lost 4 of my first 5 hens to a wandering local Jack Russell Terrier, so we build Chicken Knox to keep them safe from foxes and dogs when we weren't around.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:14:00 pm »
Aw sorry ,that's horrid, at least she had some good life with you, i love my ex-bats too :chook: :bouquet:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:52 pm »
poor you, and poor hens :(
its a horrible thing to happen
Little Blue

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »
Not pleasant as others have said and always upsetting to loose something you have cared for, I can understand your sadness. Not a nice way for them to go. At least the farmer was understanding and you didn't have an unsympathetic neighbour as well to cope with. Doesn't not make the loss of your girlies any easier though I know.  A bunch of flowers to hopefully make you smile and ease your sadness  :bouquet:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:14 pm »
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your thoughts.

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »
Not nice my own dog attacked one of my hens and ex battery may i add the most friendliest  all my others 10 20 pound each     , she came free with a load of ducks i bought and is the most friendliest chicken ever you really do get attatched and felt the horror of when "henrietta" got attacked  luckily she is fine now but i understan how u feel

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »
Whilst they were away on holiday, one of our neighbours' dogs escaped from its pen in their garden, ran over to our garden and killed 2 chooks, and injured another and also our cockeral Monty. I was so distraught, as it seemed so different to losing them to a fox. Another neighbour managed to capture the dog so we were absolutely sure he was the culprit. Apparently, he was an old hunting dog.
When the neighbours returned from their break, they came round and offered to pay for the killed birds, though I actually also charged them for the injured one as I wasnt sure that she would lay again.
I was told later, that I should have reported it to the gendarmes and our Mayor as it would be noted and any more trouble with the dog would be very serious for the owners.
It took me a long time to get over the shock, so I know exactly how you feel. Big hugs coming from France. :wave:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:47:49 am »
Thanks Mary.  How awful for you.

The mother of the farmer next door came to visit me yesterday.  She is rather fond of the dog.  She was upset about the whole thing and said she had a nightmare that night when she found out that all the villagers were chasing her as the dog had killed more chickens.  She hardly slept.  The concern from her was very comforting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS