Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scanner been  (Read 4141 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Scanner been
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:18 am »
Thirteen lambs due from nine ewes. The three gimmers have one set of twins and two singles; six ewes, three twins, three singles. Bit disapponted with two of the singles in the ewes as they both had twins last year (tried it, didn't like it?). Maybe didn't get the flushing right this year.

But if I have nine healthy ewes and 13 healthy lambs at the end of April, I'll be well pleased.  :sheep:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Scanner been
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:04 am »
Very good  :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:57:18 am »
 :thumbsup:   :)

can I ask what is 'flushing' please Rosemary?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:09:26 am »

It's when you put your ewes on a rising plane of nutrition going into tupping. After weaning, you'll put them on your poorest grass to dry them off then about three weeks before the tup goes in, you either put them on to good grass or start giving them some hard feed. This is supposed to increase the number of eggs released, therefore the number conceived.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:31:27 am »
In the absence of a teaser, this is the first year I have tried tupping 'tubs'...I'll post up my results when I get them.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »

It's when you put your ewes on a rising plane of nutrition going into tupping. After weaning, you'll put them on your poorest grass to dry them off then about three weeks before the tup goes in, you either put them on to good grass or start giving them some hard feed. This is supposed to increase the number of eggs released, therefore the number conceived.

Thank you  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »
In the absence of a teaser, this is the first year I have tried tupping 'tubs'...I'll post up my results when I get them.
I would be very interested to read your results, we had appalling conception this year, we just didn't have the grass to flush with, lots of singles, thinking of maybe sponging next year. We used teasers, so had close lambings in blocks but just not the numbers
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:04:52 pm by Dan »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:01 pm »
Congratulations, Rosemary.   :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:41 pm »
if I have nine healthy ewes and 13 healthy lambs at the end of April, I'll be well pleased.  :sheep:
Quite!  With a 300-head-ish commercial flock, we are happy if every ewe rears one good lamb - good singles grow better and are away sooner, when prices are still high, and usually get away without any treatments, or being weaned, or any cake, etc. 

And a ewe that has a single this year will probaly sail through rearing twins next...   ;)

Bit disapponted with two of the singles in the ewes as they both had twins last year (tried it, didn't like it?). Maybe didn't get the flushing right this year.

Ach, could be so many things.  Flushing is just about ovulating eggs.  They have to be fertilised, implanted, the embryos have to be ok, grow ok... the ewe's nutrition has to be right, a shock can cause one to be lost ...   

If the singles-this-year-twins-last girls are 2nd-croppers, I'd say they're being sensible!  3 lambs in the first 2 crops is pacing themselves sensibly!  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:25 am »
A lot of the commercal boys around us have reported lower percentages after scanning this year. Here in Shropshire we had a terrible year for grass, none of it! So, I guess it's down to that. We did our best to flush the ewes with buckets and the best grass we had..so we'll see what happens. Didn't get around to scanning this time so worrying now about overfeeding etc now. Anyway, lets hope all your lambs are born safely by end of April! :sheep:

Allison
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS