Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bitten by a ruddy field mouse!!  (Read 10854 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Bitten by a ruddy field mouse!!
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:32:20 pm »
So...snowball the made siameseX cat decided to bring us the usual live offerings and as usual i tried to lift it by its tail into a box as provided by nearest child who is sent to get one where we go and release it  ::) .
today though this one turned, jumped, screeched and jumped at me and bit me on the thumb knuckle!! and it really hurt. currently sporting a brown patch where hubby decided I might get an awful disease and made me douse with iodine 10%  ;)  8 year old scooped rabid rodent into a sylvanian families box and bunged it into the sheep.
not a happy bunny as had I left it in the house there was a good chance it would have got under a skirting board and died leaving the awful aroma we currently have in the office where a dead critter is stinking and we can't find it aaaaaagh!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Bitten by a ruddy field mouse!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:47:07 pm »
No good deed goes unpunished  ;D

Hope your thumb doesn't drop off  :o

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:51:36 pm »
oh no......
i hope the mouse is OK  ;D  ;)
iodine can sting just as much
luckily our cat used to eat eveythin it caught
 ;D

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »
Vicious little mouse...not at all grateful for your help!!! 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »
sometimes, there's just no helping some things!
Smiled at the image of daughter with sylvanian families box ... you know the girls are country dwellers, she didn't want to put a waistcoat on it and move it into the Gypsy caravan!! :D

be thankful you've got iodine, in our house it would have been gentain violet livestock spray! ;)
Little Blue

Bangbang

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »
Get well soon, to your thumb :-*

Good luck to the mouse :thumbsup:

All our vermin are discounted we always get 50% off ! tails and back legs usually. It seems heads are a delicacy.
Our cat (who cannot be named for legal reasons) says ferrel means peril, a mouse in time saves Iodine.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »
Smiled at the image of daughter with sylvanian families box ... you know the girls are country dwellers, she didn't want to put a waistcoat on it and move it into the Gypsy caravan!! :D
haha! there's an image!! scarlett was given a little family to move into her caravan today - thankfully it was rabbit sylvanians not mice, I might have sworn  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:48:25 pm »
Cheeky little mouse, there's you rescuing it and what's your thanks! Hope the thumb's fine  :-*

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 07:01:41 pm »
I will take with me to my grave the image of my now ex-hubby laughing but also screaming as a mouse released by his female SiameseX cat made a dart for an appealing dark hole - and ran straight up inside his trouser leg!  :D

(He might have preferred a bitten thumb!  ;) :D)

Hope yours heals ok plums  :bouquet:

That particular cat used to always bring live 'presents'  ::)  When we had her and her brother it was no problem; Bro caught and ate them all.  When Bro was gone, we found we had a mouse problem in our house because we had a cat!  New baby Jacob made friends with one of these, so much so that we named him Bertie and regarded him as Jacob's pet.  Then, as Jacob grew and developed adult skills - one day, he killed and ate Bertie.  Brutal, eh?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

That's so funny....

Your tetanus up to date?

But more seriously, I would have put some anti-bug stuff on it too... They can carry some nasties with them...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:39:37 pm »
It was the next generation in mouse evolution.

Human killers ;)

Sure you'll survive, even if it does mean supporting a brown iodine stain for a while.

funny :) - never can trust any of these little critters :) bless

Baz

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 10:38:35 pm »
Your braver than me, they might only be tiny but theres no way I could bring myself to pick one up, not even by the tail.  :o.   Hope the thumb knuckle gets better soon. :bouquet:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:46 pm »
Ouch ! Hope it heals up soon and that our messages make you smile  :D

Our Westie goes for the lizards but they are soon out of her reach when they run up the wall. She had great success one day though and, full of pride, brought her half into the house. The tail ! - it kept wriggling for ages and we watched the other half (Stumpy) grow a new tail throughout the summer. One of Stumpy's relative got revenge on Maddy by  sacrificing itself on the back step. Maddy was sick as a dog (actually really ill )for 3 days !
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:40 pm »
The tale (excuse the pun) is told in my family of my great-grandmother (a Victorian lady) spotting a mouse in her house and clambering onto the table where she yelled (in a genteel Victorian fashion) for the cat to catch the mouse.  The cat just stood and looked up at her.
"Stupid cat.  YOu're supposed to catch mice.  Don't stand there looking at me." she is reported to have said, just before she felt something scrabbling at the top of her leg.  Yes, the mouse has run up the inside of her long skirt.  NO wonder the cat was watching her.  ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 07:54:29 am »
I had my thumb bitten by a bloody SPIDER that I was rescuing from the bath!! It drew blood and left two puncture wounds in the ball of my thumb :o :o

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS