Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - feeding tablets to an unwilling dog...  (Read 10257 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help - feeding tablets to an unwilling dog...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 06:41:45 pm »
You're absolutely right, Sandy - they can work it out from the body language.   ::) ;D  Too clever fro tehir own good! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »
RHum is not bothered by her calcium tabs but I can see her watch my every move...... ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 07:19:09 pm »
RHum is not bothered by her calcium tabs but I can see her watch my every move...... ::)
Remember the first time I saw her - she watched us all the time,. ;D  She's a wee sweetie and would make a terrific gundog - just what you need is a dog that watches you. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 07:41:24 pm »
I was once walking home from the pub one summer night with my police-dog handler hubby and my four month old golden retriever puppy. We were following another couple, at a distance. Arran tracked them exactly, where they'd crossed the road etc. 'just look at that' hubby exclaimed 'you'd kill for that in a GSD puppy'. We decided that we'd have to paint stripes on her face to make her look fierce enough to be a police dog  :D

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 10:03:08 pm »
Or BIG false teeth...Rhum is something special, she looks and watches my every move and is a diligant mummy!!! Love working dogs by the way!

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »
i had somthing very similar last year..grind the tablet in a pestal and mortar then mix in a spoon of the pate meat from the vet..she should take it then,just do it all when she is not in the room and as said before body language is everything..smile,squeeky voice and fun fun fun...usually works.. ;) :D
'can't rain all the time!'

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 08:58:14 pm »
We have given up on the vet's easy pate type diet (which she wasn't eating anymore today) and I have tried her on freshly cooked pig/pork lung (the pigs went off to the abattoir this morning) - and she loves it! Perfect for hiding tablets in too....

I felt quite bad about her having the op, but listening into conversations of other dog owners at the vet's this morning there were two other people in there discussing what their dogs had picked up and needed removing from their insides... one was several balled up socks.... makes a crisp packet quite a normal "dog" thing to want to eat!!!!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:26 pm »
A police dog, who had been in the police kennels for a week during our annual holiday, had a strange clacking sound on running, when we returned. Took him to the vets, who removed 5lb  :o of pebbles from his stomach! Seems the kennel maid had taken him for a walk on the beach, thrown a pebble, Spartan had chased the pebble, swallowed it on the retrieve......

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 10:33:10 pm »
I use the cheese slices too (I find Dairylea the best to manipulate).  Worked for my cat too.  Good luck.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »
A police dog, who had been in the police kennels for a week during our annual holiday, had a strange clacking sound on running, when we returned. Took him to the vets, who removed 5lb  :o of pebbles from his stomach! Seems the kennel maid had taken him for a walk on the beach, thrown a pebble, Spartan had chased the pebble, swallowed it on the retrieve......

OMG I hope you got the kennels to pay for the op! :o

I haven't seen my bill yet, preparing for the worst though....

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »
I used to work at a practice on the coast so we often had to remove stones from dog's abdomens after beach walks. The worst thing we had to remove was a chewed up childs toy which had been there for some time before causing symptoms and 2 tampax :o YUK

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 11:55:04 pm »
My terrier wont take tablets, I used to wrap em in ham, but he'd eat that and the tablet would 'magically' pop out the side of his mouth and fall on the floor.

I have to open his mouth, place tablet on the back of his tongue and shut it (carefully!) and hold it for maybe a second so he has to swallow. Then I give him more ham.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 02:38:09 pm »
i make a peanut butter sandwich for mine and she dont even relise her tablet is in it

Sandy

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »
I worked in mental health with HUMANS and they are far worse!

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08:51 pm »
My son has severe autism Sandy and I can empathise with that.

My late mother always used sausages to carry pills for terriers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS