Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The old saying .....  (Read 5724 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
The old saying .....
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:11:50 am »
How does it go please?

From little acorns grow big Trees?  From little acorns grow great oaks?  From little acorns grow great oak trees?

It is something like that, and I want to use it so it has to be right.

Thanks

Kate  :-\
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: The old saying .....
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:21:00 am »
From little acorns big oak trees grow.  ??

Hardfeather

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:31:48 am »
Big oaks from little acorns grow.

That's always the way my mother and her mother used to say.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:14:03 am »
Big oaks from little acorns grow.

That's always the way my mother and her mother used to say.
That's the one I know too

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 09:21:07 am »
"Mighty oaks from little acorns grow" is the exact phrase. Several internet references if you want to google the exact phrase. Hope this helps!

Morgan  :farmer:

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »
Thank you so much!  Never thought to google!

Kate  :pig:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:39:51 pm »
Anything, for a francophile pig lover....my favourite country and animal!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:28:48 am »
Kate forgive my curiousity but why did you want to know ?  (if thats not an impudent question)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:09 pm »
I have been writing for Feathered Friends - the re homing of battery hens. I have really been affected by this whole battery thing after seeing inside an intensive elevage when I bought the first hens. I was inspired to do something about it, and set up Feathered Friends.  Since then just a month ago, I have re homed two dozen;  another dozen are being re homed tommorrow, and a further twenty four are reserved for delivery at the LACEF Easter Bonanza on April 11th.

Part of my writings include a selection of photos showing the differing conditions in Battery units, High Welfare indoor units, and free range.  I hope I have put a balanced argument in place. I am not pointing the finger, or making outlandish remarks, just simply asking people to consider what they are buying and how the product got there. By paying a  little bit more for the high welfare egg or meat, one can be assured that the life of the chicken has been considered and valued.  I have also put together something similar for the pig.  A subject that will be dear to your heart HM.

Both will shortly be published on the LACEF website www.lacef.fr . The campaign for High Welfare pork will be driven by LACEF.  Feathered Friend's is my project and is supported by LACEF, and I am going to create a dedicated site for that.

I thought also that I would include a recipe section. I have in mind that if I am to persuade people to pay a little more for their food during these hard times, then I need to provide ideas on how they can get the most from the product and not waste any!

I have found the Battery Hen Welfare Trust in the UK a fabulous website, offering excellent information relating to the re habilitation of the battery hen.  I have been in touch with them for advice.

Here is an extract of my writings which will put it into context.

We hope you will become a friend to the little battery hen.  You can do this by re homing, or simply choosing the free range/high welfare produce when you go shopping. Talk to your friends and family and tell them what you have learned.  By pulling together and supporting the idea of liberation for these animals, we can make a small different.  What is the saying?  “Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow”.  We can only start small, but together we can make a difference, of that we are sure.

I bet you wish you hadn't asked HM!!

Kate  :chook:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 02:22:31 pm »
good luck with it all

linz

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 06:20:24 pm »

Thats really great.  Have not knowingly eaten a non free range egg in 30 years.  Keep up the good work.  HM ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 07:24:22 pm »
As you will have noticed I promote ex batts at the slightest opportunity - my 6 girls are super - have a look at www.bhwt.co.uk
I'm hoping a friend of mine will be able to get a couple soon too, she just lost her dog and is taking the chickens instead of another dog.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 08:30:35 am »
Who knows one day, it might come about that all eggs are from free range hens. ....   :bfly:

DavidnChris

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:03 am »
We went a long way off topic there,
if we'd finished up with "little pigs have big ears" a saying I remember from my childhood, I could have seen the link. All eggs from free range though ........... ?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 01:39:59 pm »
I hope I got a mention in feathered friends for all of my invaluable assistance! Lol

:farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS