Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dislocated chicken wing  (Read 5010 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Dislocated chicken wing
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:32 pm »
I have started up a little project which I have called 'Feathered Friends' with the support of my collegues in LACEF. ( www.lacef.fr ).  We have rehomed two dozen ex battery hens so far and I collected another dozen today. One of them has either broken or dislocated her wing at the elbow.  We have taped it up and she seems to be comfortable and is in no distress.

My question is:  How long should the wing be taped up?  We are not sure how old the injury is.  The area around the joint is blue and bloody/clotty bloody that is,  underneath the skin. which made me think it was recent. 

I want to rehome her, but will obviously keep her if it is going to be a long process.

Thanks all!

Kate  :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Dislocated chicken wing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:20:32 pm »
One of my dogs retrieved a chicken some years ago and pulled off the feathers and membrane down over the leg - I rinsed it out, squirted half a tube of savlon in, slapped the skin back up, wrapped a crepe bandage round it ad secured it with elastoplast. Removed it 10 days later and it had healed fine apart from a few squint feathers.  She lived another 3 years after that - the dog nearly didn't but here she is lying by my side 10 years later, now a stately and forgiven 12 year old. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Dislocated chicken wing
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:22:24 pm »
We had a Brown Leghorn with a broken wing. The main joint was broken right through. It never looked injured though and we didn't even notice at first. It never healed but we had her for several years and she was fine. She could hold it normally and could even fly a bit.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS