Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Small breed cows wanted  (Read 7715 times)

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
Small breed cows wanted
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:04:45 pm »
Hi,

Looking to buy a small breed cow, preferably in calf and/or with calf at foot. A placid breed is required, as has to be handled by my (small breed) missus.

Will live out with a field shelter, so need something semi-hardy.

Any recommendations on what to buy, or what to avoid, gratefully received !

I am in Cumbria, and although I love Norfolk and Devon and the Scottish Highlands, I would prefer to buy something relatively close  ;)
"A good farmer is nothing more nor less than a handy man with a sense of humus"

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Small breed cows wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »
Shetland cattle would be very suitable :)

http://www.shetlandcattle.org.uk/

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:05:41 pm »
Of course I think the Jersey cannot be bettered ( :love: :cow:), but I am not sure I would want Hillie to outwinter with only a field shelter up here.  They're fine doing that in Somerset!

I've been trying to get a cross of Red Devon / Jersey.  No luck this year but I'll have another go next. 

Some people rave about Dexters and others say they can be rather hot to handle.  They should be hardy enough, though.

What about the local hardy breeds, the Galloway, the Whitebred Shorthorn or the delightful cross of the two, the Blue Grey.  We have several Blue Grey suckler cows and they are just lovely.  Very very hardy, very very quiet.  They are best not put in calf too early though; they don't really want to be having their first calf before their third birthday.

I'll be interested to hear what you get and how you get on with it!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »
A word about Dexters - cute as anything, but naughty devils! Good at showjumping, and can grow nice pointy horns. Having said that, if in groups of 3 or under they seem to be lovely and tame :)

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:46 pm »
jersey can survive in harsh conditions   if they get accustomed to it     nothing will survive if inside and then turfed outside in wild weather
interesting about the blue greys  not calving before they are three  :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »
I've got my Jersey heifer outwintering with trees for shelter.  She struggled a bit at first and now seems fine.  But even with the thicker coat she has now grown, I don't think I would want to have her outwintering when she's in milk. 

You could always rug her up - they used to do it, just like rugging a horse.

VSS will be along soon, to tell you to try to get a Jersey cross British Blue.   :D  That's be hardier - although larger, too.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:54:41 pm »
What about the Kerry ?

On RBST list so could do with support.  They certainly will survive in harsh consitions.

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »
Interesting about the mention of British Blue cross Jersey, there was a lot of talk about them about 20 years ago, but all went quiet. One place where I relief milk has a large proportion of Friesian cross blues and they milk very well and are silly quiet.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:15:03 pm »

I am planning on getting Belted Galloways which are pretty small, if you are interested I can let you have a contact number they are in North Northumberland about 8 miles south of Berwick on Tweed.
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:23:42 pm »
So, Daisys Mum, can you explain the distinction between a Belted Galloway and all the other colours?  As I understand it, Belties are a seperate breed, but I still don't really understand in what way they are different from all the other Galloway colours!  (It's all a bit like Shetland sheep with their katmogets and gulmogets etc, I think the Galloway folk do have their own terms for some of the marking schemes, don't they?)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 01:13:27 pm »
I would recommend Shetland cattle. We have three - Breeze and Blizzard are 2010 heifers, now in calf and due May and June respectively - and Henry, as 2012 bullock who's for the freezer in due course. We plan to take milk off the heifers once they calve, for the house. I don't know how that will work in practice, but the breed was developed as a dual purpose breed.

There are photos of them on the main TAS site, along with video of them being halter trained. They are really canny. The beef is superb - we bought some this year from another breeder and it's glorious. The milk is usually about 5% butterfat and has high levels of something that's relly good for you - but I can't remember what  ::) Might be linoleic acid?

The Secretary of the Shetland Cattle Breeders Association is in Cumbria and is a lovely man - I'm sure if you contacted him, he'd be happy to let you visit his place or other local breeders. I'd be happy to introduce you to ours but you're a bit far away.

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:31 pm »
Thank you all so much for your input  :thumbsup:

We are taking Rosemary's advice and going to look at some Shetlands, as the Secretary is practically on our doorstep !

I can make a more informed decision when I have actually seen them up close, but they do sound ideal.

Thanks again.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 08:50:30 pm »
Hurrah! Bet you will fall in love!  :cow: :bouquet: :thumbsup:

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 10:56:05 pm »
Update

We are off to see Barry Allen (Secretary Shetland Cattle Breeders’ Association) on Tuesdaywill let you know how we get on  :cow:

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »
Update again

We have been over to see Barry Allen to look at his Herd.

I have bought one of his heifer,s with a possibility of buying one more off him, we are now looking for a couple more to run with the heifers.

Lovely cattle.

Many tks for all your answers will update as we get the others

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS