Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding pregnant ewes  (Read 7151 times)

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
Feeding pregnant ewes
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »
HI  new member here and was wondering what everyone elses ideas of feeding their pregnant ewes were. Im 4 weeks off lambing and will be my first time , my ewes have pasture to graze on all day then in the evening go into the barn and im feeding them about 0.5kg of ewemaster nuts per ewe. their body scoring seems to stay a steady 3 however they are looking really big  and have my concerns im overfeeding and the lambs are going to be too big but then again i dont want to underfeed either especially at such an impotant time in pregnancy.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Feeding pregnant ewes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »
If you're maintaining a body score of 3 I'd say you'd got it just right!

My ewes look pretty big as they come up to lambing too. And whilst you don't want lambs so big they get stuck coming out, neither do you want them skinny and struggling.

Someone who knows a lot more will come in I'm sure.

What sort of ewes and what tup did you use?

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »
they are a bit of a mix mule ewe  and tup is a pure texel, i just havnt really been able to find any advice on feeding that doesnt contradict the other. so i just took a guess and hope it goes ok

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:04:12 am »
Are they scanned?

I would not be feeding single-bearing ewes at this stage in pregnancy.

Why are you shutting them up at night? Unless there is a really good reason to, I wouldn't shut a sheep in, diseases are more easily transferred in the shed than outside. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:08:57 am »
Sounds bang on lam666.  With muley types you are likely to get more rather than less lambs so hopefully you won't have any overlarge singles.  If you are maintaining such a good condition score on 1lb/head/day, fingers crossed you haven't any triplets - and if you do, the ewes are clearly coping at present.

Mules carrying texel lambs, especially twins and triplets, at this stage in their pregancy will need some additional sugar in one form or another; they can't get enough from grass alone at this time of year, and they can be prone to pregnancy toxaemia, so you will need to feed them cake or give them molasses or something.  1lb/head/day is a good ration when you don't know what they're carrying and their condition is 2.5 to 3.

I might be tempted to give them vitamins and minerals as well, just to be on the safe side.  Either a block or a drench.

But it sounds like you are doing a grand job. :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:14:40 am »
They do have a high energylick avaiable to them which im told is the right thing,  the reason they are in the barn at night is just so i can check them at night for any early lambs as im not quite sure on the date its 3 to 4 weeks until they are due, is this a bad idea then ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 08:40:23 am »
How many of them do you have lam666?  General sheep wisdom is to not cram too many sheep together unless essential - "a sheep's worst enemy is another sheep", ie, they give each other diseases.  But if you've just a handful and there's plenty of room, very good ventilation and their bedding is kept clean and fresh (to avoid foot germs getting passed around), there are benefits to having them tame and biddable, and to hand if they start lambing early.

If lambing mules indoors I would normally only bring them in a few days before the earliest is due to start as I know they settle quickly.  But every situation, shepherd and flock is different. :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:57 am »
hi thanks for all the replies , the sheep do have really good ventilation i the barn and im only talking 7 sheep at the minute. i just thought with the barn being only steps away from the field quite big  i may as well take advantage of that fact. i have the separate lambing pens ready and keeping the barn clean on a daily basis. even this early pre lambing im doing atleast 3 checks a night  maybe im being over cautious but i just dont want anything going wrng on my first time. hopefully what i learn from actually experiencing it this year then ill be more knowledgeable with plans of alot more sheep for next year

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:04:54 am »
Have you boostered your ewes with Heptavac P+, if not do it now (I presume they have been vaccinated before and only need a booster)?

Are these gimmers/first timers or older ewes? If older ewes I would not do checks three times a night this early on... you are wearing yourself out. Also with gimmers you get a bit of warning, as they take longer. If they haven't developed an udder, and that udder is pretty full, plus pinkish at their backend and a bit swollen - you won't be lambing in the next couple of days.

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 03:53:44 pm »
Yes all have been boostered and i have a record of last years lambing from them and it would appear and im told there was no problems except for the youngest who aborted so keeping a close eye on her. im just being over cautious i think.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS