Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alfalfa and flaked maize  (Read 9930 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Alfalfa and flaked maize
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:16 am »
I will try the WCF store when I can get there, they keep horsey stuff  :) I'll ring and see today.

This morning I dosed her again with rumen bugs. Hope the two doses will do as I can't think that restraining and stressing her is good for an in-kid goat  :-\

She was eating hay again, if not quite so committedly as yesterday morning. And she ate whole mixed corn, a couple of good handfuls - which I carefully spread on top of the alfalfa pellets to encourage her to eat those too and which she seemed to be picking out carefully  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:08 am »
When I had to drench my GG goatling for the best part of two weeks at least twice a day, we got it down to a quick routine and she was not so stressed about it after a few days. I just went in quickly, pushed her into the corner, so that my left hand was under her jaw (lifted her head up at the same time) and put the thumb through over her lower jaw, just before the back teeth start and quickly down with the fluid onto the back of her tongue. She just seemed to accept it, really by that stage I was a bit beyond caring... I wasn't rough, but quick and decisive. She had twins of really quite good size and milked ok, so it really was just the burden of the two kids at the end of her pregnancy. I also walked her almost every day round and round the field, just to make sure she was getting some exercise.

Hope Rowan is getting on ok - when is she due?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »
That's good to know Anke, thanks. She's due on 17th April.

I've just come out on my lunchbreak and got her some ReadyGrass. Now I want to go home and give her some :)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 05:33:06 pm »
Ok, we like ReadyGrass  :thumbsup:  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 10:40:17 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »
How is she jaykay?

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 11:44:05 am »

I also feed mine on readygrass, they all go mad for it, as do any of their neighbours at the shows  ;D

I only have one pregnant doe this year, I had just come online to get some tips on feeding as she is now into her last 7 weeks, I started her on D&H mix last week, so will introduce some oats and maize to help.

Normally, with my ewes I give them the Ewe and Lamb lick buckets near the end of the gestation, are these any good for the Doe? 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:14:59 pm by Mays »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 06:29:30 pm »
Specific pregnancy licks are not recommended for goats, but I give mine Caprivite most days when they come into the last 7 weeks - My first one is due in 7weeks and she is just about getting a handfull of oats with her handful of sugarbeet. Gave her some "cornflakes" today - they went down well (with some garlic of course!)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 10:21:53 pm »
Rowan fortunately likes Caprivite and it helps her decide to eat the sheep 'flakey' mix. She is also munching ReadiGrasss very happily - as are her two little brothers and her mum - good tip that, thank you  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS