Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping hebridean ram with hebridean ewes  (Read 2988 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Keeping hebridean ram with hebridean ewes
« on: January 18, 2012, 05:00:39 pm »
Hello again.
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my other posts by the way. TAS is fantastic and I can't believe there are so many lovely helpful people out there.
Anyway, this seems a bit premature, but I'll ask anyway (sheep on the brain)
We only have a bit of land so when Colin our first tup arrived on loan in September (from lovely friends Angus and Fiona from Coll) we kept him in a seperate field with his castrated brother William, but they looked a bit miserable in this little field.
Our first lambs are hopefully due mid April and I'm just wondering when is the absolute latest we'll have to take our tup out again? Obviously we don't want the ewes getting pregnant till later in the year (November last time)
but I'd rather keep them together as long as possible. They get on fine and no bullying. Just the mating bit that worries me.
Sheep fertility is new to me so I'm not sure if they come in to heat at certain times or not, and someone said different breeds react differently.
Thank you, Joanne xxxx

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Keeping hebridean ram with hebridean ewes
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:35:31 am »
So it is...
Thanks Sally.
Loads of good information from those links xxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS