Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedge laying  (Read 13848 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
Hedge laying
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:22:30 pm »
Does anybody do it themselves, if so how did you learn?

If you "get a man" in - what is the approximate cost?

Ta ;D

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
Re: Hedge laying
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:27:27 pm »
I know a lad that makes a real good job o laying hedges but he is in Worcestershire so maybe jst far enough away from you. I will tryt and remember to ask him what the normal costs of laying are.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:14:14 pm »
The last hedge we had laid 5 years ago cost £3 a metre plus hedging stakes.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »
i would definitly try that myself, i would think it all depends on the nature of the wood you intend to layer and make the stakes as you went along, a good skill to learn in my book.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 08:04:26 pm »
Look at http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk/ it might be helpful.  It's one of those skills that was dying out when I was a kid so it's mostly a hobby now rather than a farming skill.  That said OH just laid a length of one of our hedges using stakes and a bill hook.  She learnt for fun in the 70s.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 08:40:02 pm »
I've watched a local competition and it looks real hard work done at speed. Spoke to an old chap who kindly explained the finer points, or edges, of a billhook. Get a second hand one as new steel is too soft he said. Cut down a long handled version so the handle left gives balance. Have you seen the prices, they are classed as 'collectables'? Bought a new Morris 'Devon' instead. The steel is very good but it took 3 hours with a stone to get a fine edge on it (could shave with it mind). Avoided the model with a sharp point at the end of the blade- accident waiting to happen I thought. After using it I realised I could have handled a heavier one and wish I'd bought one with a straight chopping blade on top (just like the ones in the competition), as I used an axe a lot instead. So I'm going to have to buy another Morris soon.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »
I learnt to do it when I worked for the NT as a warden. I'm no expert and don't think I could "hire" myself out, but I will do our hedges when then regrow (they had gotten overgrown so I decided to cut them all down and start from scratch)

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 10:55:29 pm »
Anybody worth engaging will be £8 -£10 per metre plus stakes round here.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:42 pm »
I always liked the Yorkshire bill hook, one of the doubled edged variety, for general work because of its extra weight but I was never any good at hedge laying.  Friends who were competent seemed each to have their own preferences.  The Yorkshire is much more hazardous when it gets a bit crowded.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »
the prices is around £12 per m around the west country. I found a nice many handed billhook for £3 in Tetbury
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:17 pm »
That's what I call lucky Anderso. New Morris double edge is £35.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 05:51:21 pm »
Hi,

I learned with British Trust for Conservation Volunteers (BTCV) when I went on a hedge laying course.  My husband learned from Lantra Training - not sure if they are still going.  I have a good BTCV book called "Hedging a practical handbook" by Alan Brooks and Elizabeth Agate - I expect its still in print and BTCV have a web site so there may be advice there.

We're into doing our hedges the traditional way - even if husband does it with a chainsaw - I prefer my staffy bill hook but it takes ages.  If you like, I can post some pictures tomorrow.

Liz 
Never ever give up.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:12:10 am »
Let's see the pics.

OH was also taught hedgelaying by the BTCV when she was field staff.  She still has the handbook, 30 years later, it's probably the same

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 10:59:08 am »
How do you post photos?  I'm really struggling but I'm new to this so that's not surprising. 

I've been round the farm this morning and taken photos from hedges we did 15 years ago when we didn't know what we were doing to a hedge we planted in 2003 and laid in 2010/2011.  There's also one that we are in the process of laying this winter.  The sun is shining too so there's blue sky and shadows - I haven't seen that for ages.

I'm writing an essay at the moment (I'm a student nurse) so I'll post as soon as it drives me mad and I need a break - but I can't work out how to do it so I'll need an idiots guide. 

Liz
Never ever give up.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
Underneath the reply box wot I'm typing in is a label saying Attachments and other options. Open this and it has some choices followed by Attach and choose file

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS