Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder cream - advice please  (Read 2692 times)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Udder cream - advice please
« on: January 22, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
I use Goat Nutrition Dairy Wipes before milking and gently dry the teats with a clean sheet of good-quality kitchen paper afterwards, then apply Capritect Silver udder cream to avoid chapping.  I know this makes a difference because when I have not applied it - for reasons I'm about to explain - the next day the teats will be dry/scaly.

However, even though I place a small blob of cream in my hand and get it as warm as possible, my milker strongly objects to cream being applied.  She is generally quiet while being milked and doesn't make a fuss when I pause in milking and then touch her again, it is only the application of cream she dislikes. 

Should I continue to use it on the grounds that although it annoys her it is for her own good, or should I stop?  Is it the texture of cream she minds?  Does everyone use cream? 

Any thoughts appreciated!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Udder cream - advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:28:12 pm »
Keep using the cream she will get used to it, or, try a different brand ,any udder cream will do the job.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »
I never use cream, I just use baby wipes, rather than udder wipes and don't dry her off after wiping her.  Ellie's udder seems to be fine with this. I think the baby wipes have a skin cream in them.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:59:56 pm »
I thought it might be that the cream felt cold - but the wipes are chilly too and she doesn't mind them.   I can see the sense in using baby wipes because they would have some sort of skin-softening product in them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:45 pm »
Some goats seem to not like the udder cream and other don't mind it at all... My GG girls do the "Gay Gordon's" with both (hind)legs in the air if I even as much as try to put some udder cream on (but their udders seem to stay soft without it anyway), the BT's don't mind at all.... All of them are ok with standard Dairy wipes before milking, and NOBODY likes teat dip... but they all get it!!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
I stopped using udder cream as both my milking goats never really needed it but I have to say it made my hands tingle quite unpleasantly - the one I had was quite minty to smell and I wonder if that causes udder tingles? savannah hates it so we use wipes and dip and that's it.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »
The minty udder cream is good for getting rid of lumps in the udder (not mastitis ones, just general lumps) I was told. I have used it a few times on my BT girl, who had a massive lump in between her two quarters, and lo behold the lump is nearly gone! But the minty one does dry the skin, so I only used it a few times and was advised to have both types and alternate between them.

the standard udder cream is also very good for chapped skin on lambs (after fly strike for example), or human hands...

I think it depends on the goat - if you don't need it I wouldn't use it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS