Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormers for pigs  (Read 2002 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Wormers for pigs
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:31:51 pm »
Hello.
I just wondered if you have to change wormers every so often? For example, if I keep giving them wormers with ivermectin in, will there will resistance to it?

The problem being that I give my pigs the same drench as my sheep- this includes a liver fluke ingredient (as we have had liver fluke here) as well as ivermectin for worms.
They have just had treatment yesterday
The next time the sheep get fluked/wormed will be April. I need to find a different fluke treatment for them (for resistance purposes) but most of the different fluke products still have ivermectin it them.
Thank you very much, Joanne xxxxx

HappyHippy

Re: Wormers for pigs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:34:59 pm »
I don't have sheep, but I'd imagine you'd be able to use it twice on the trott without it causing resistance in the pigs.
It's probably worth doing a poo sample worm count before they are next due wormed/drenched, Supplies for Smallholders worm test will check for fluke too, so you might be able to miss a does for the pigs and catch them with something later in the year - no point medicating if you don't have to, that's where the resistance wil start to come in.
Hopefully sheepy peeps will be along soon  :wave:

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »
Thank you.
Love from Lumpy, Brother and Shorty too xxxx

princesspiggy

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »
do pigs get liver fluke?

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:12 am »
They can do Julia, though it's not something that's routinely checked for (as the majority of pigs in Britain are kept inside it's never been a factor)
But certainly in the case of Kune Kunes being grazers, they're as prone to it as sheep I think. Have to admit it's not something I've treated for (as yet) but on the next lot of poo samples I'll be getting a fluke check done just to be sure........ it was a very wet year last year  :(

Joanne - we miss Sir Shorty, Bruce was just saying last night how this really good boar in our current litter just is the double of him in looks and temper (except bigger) We'll need to try and get up to see you all in the spring (and now I've got a sat-nag I've no excuse  ;))
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS