Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "rare breed" confused with "endangered species"  (Read 4012 times)

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
"rare breed" confused with "endangered species"
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:01:58 pm »
I heard that some well-intensioned people refuse to eat "rare breed" meat because they confuse it with endangered species like white rhino or mountain gorrila. Has anyone had experience of this? Perhaps more effort needs to be made to explain that eating rare breed meat helps to preserve that breed.

HappyHippy

Re: "rare breed" confused with "endangered species"
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:02:43 pm »
I do try to explain to folks that if no-one eats the meat from these breeds that they will die out altogether.
It's the demand for the meat that leads to a need to breed and that increases numbers overall.

I think there are folk who try to promote it (RBST/BPA) but more does need to be done. Although, even saying all of that people only hear what they want too  ::) ;)
All we can do, as rare breed keepers, is to educate and spread the word to as many people as we can  :thumbsup:

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »
when i sold most of our first litter for finishing, my friend was shocked cos they were rare and thought all would be kept for breeding. when i offered our piglet on a "buy-a-piglet" scheme, some thought they were being sponsored for life, like as in an animal shelter.
you have to repeatedly explain that by eating rare breed meat, u are promoting the breeding of more litters, and therefore helping to prevent extinction, or poor gene pool. and u still need to breed only from the best, and eat the rest.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »
I think you right HH - I guess the majority of people think a pig is a pig and lamb is lamb, especially when it's bought prepacked from the supermarket - when we say Rare Breed it's something a little special/different that need support to keep the breed going but I can understand how some people would take it like a giant panda!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:30:51 pm »
There are far more pandas around than any of our rare breeds of farm livestock, except perhaps chickens  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:30:54 am »
I have to admit I filled a questionaire in (some time ago), where I put 'no' to something like 'would you eat meat from rare breeds', not really thinking about it but the fact numbers should be increased, it was only later when I actualy thought about it I realised I should have put 'yes'.
(not that I ever get chance to get any, I'll do our own poultry and OH brings meat now & then)
I plead guilty (do I get a suspended sentence for seeing the error of my ways and feeling remorse? :-[ )

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:59:52 am »
This reminds me of some comments I saw under a 'Daily Mail' (yes, I know...what did I expect from Mail readers?) article about the 'Exlana' which is basically a new composite breed of shedding sheep. As you sensible lot probably know, the fleece is shed in spring.

Anyway, some of the comments were from people frothing at the mouth because they thought that breeding shedding sheep was cruel because they would freeze in winter....

Others were seriously woried about criminal gangs roaming the country to pick the shed fleece up and put it in sacks to sell on the black market...

Still others were worried about their woollen clothes falling apart from the poor-quality fleece...

If the comments had been anywhere else I would have thought it was a wind up.... ;D

Heres the article (scroll down for the breathtaking stupidity - and pity 'Caroline Donner' for not realising who her audience was and making the only sensible comment): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1264462/The-self-shearing-sheep-save-farmers-thousands-pounds.html

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS