Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping a Ram on its own?  (Read 5911 times)

Pocagranja

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Raiguero Bajo, Murcia, Spain
Keeping a Ram on its own?
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:43:32 am »
Hi, we run a smallholding in Spain & have 4 ewes & 1 ram.  The ewes have all lambed in December for the first time & now we have a problem with the ram.  He has been with the ewes since we acquired them, about 1 year ago & he is approx 18 months old, the problem is now he pushes the ewes away from the food & is generally a pain.  Can we move him into another field to live by himself until he is needed again?  We know sheep are herding animals & should be kept in a herd but we only have 1 ram so he would have to be on his own. Can anyone offer any advice please? :sheep:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Keeping a Ram on its own?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:55:47 am »
Well, what I do is have a wether to live with him, to keep him company.

The only time I did keep a tup on his own, he became a real pain with me, butting me and charging at me across the field - I think he just wanted company but he was big and rough!

Now I have a tup and a wether and they keep each other company and are both fine.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 11:25:03 am »
Either the above or eat him.... (and get an (entire) ram lamb in the autumn if you only have 4 ewes to serve).

Or if you have sheep farming neighbours just ask next time to have your girls in with theirs during tupping, saves the hassle of having to own a ram for such a small number of ewes.
Or ask one of your sheep farming neighbours to loan/sell/barter you a castrated ram (wether) lamb to keep him company.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »
Ach the tup will be fine on his own. Once you get the lambs up and about ypou might be able to mix him back with the ewes but really he will be ok on his own.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 02:06:30 pm »
Aw, we've got Colin the ram from our friends on the Isle of Coll. His brother William came with him for company.
I'm sure he would survive on his own but he's much happier with company, and I'm too soft.
Do you know other farmers who would take your ram and put him with their lot?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:28:48 pm »
I've kept rams on their own for one reason or another and they have been fine. However, I usually have them with the ram lambs after weaning.

Pocagranja

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Raiguero Bajo, Murcia, Spain
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:19:39 am »
Thanks to everyone for their replies.  We have now put the ram into a field on his own, he is bleating at the moment so hopefully will settle.  The ewes seem very happy on their own now.

Unfortunately we do not have any farming neighbours to help out & our only neighbour has goats.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS