Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taste of eggs/ table birds and feed type  (Read 2613 times)

STING

• Joined Jan 2012
Taste of eggs/ table birds and feed type
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:48 pm »
Hi all, can anyone out there explain if there is a link between feed and taste of eggs/ chicken meat?  I want to ensure maximum taste and best feed. Thank you in advance

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Taste of eggs/ table birds and feed type
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:28:04 am »
I only ever feed a mixed grain diet and have done for many years, but my birds get free-range.Unless in the breeding pens.

If your feeding mash or pellets your feeding your birds with 'stuff' you don't know whats in it.
Your eating eggs and meat from birds fed on chemicals and soya and god alone knows what the put on that to get it to grow.
I have heard all the arguments about chickens needing 15-18% protein and it's total rubbish.
If your worried about the protein there are lots of other ways of giving birds a protein boost without feeding bagged feed.

My web page has more about this subject and you can follow my facebook page on dual purpose poultry.

A number of people have adopted an all grain diet and it's been discussed on PP site under feeding.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:38:07 pm »
Free ranging with plenty of grass and quality supplimental feeds make far better eggs. That's what our customers say. 'Best eggs ever tasted' often said and demand outstrips supply three-fold. But a lot also has to do with the breed and the size of egg. The slower egg producers seem to taste better. Our Leghorn bantam's eggs are fantastic and not for sale. We bought some supermarket free range eggs a while back -tasted of nothing, just looked right. Most of our eggs are medium sized from Wyandottes, some from Orpingtons. Only one hybrid left and we won't get any more -lays loads of big eggs but they don't taste as good. Eats disproportionately more pellets as well. Best feed to egg production ratio by miles are the leghorn bantams.

Meat taste seems to be about growth rate, so breed rather than feed, but I'm sure free ranging must add something. Like lamb -Jacobs taste far better than Texels in our experience.

STING

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:13:41 pm »
Thanks you Chrismahon, i do agree with you there, my 3 Salmon faverolles lay better tasting eggs than the hybrids, and certainly the so called free ranging organic eggs from the supermarket never taste special to me..  Will try the bantam wyandotte next time! How many eggs per season do they lay?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:07 pm »
Hi Sting.
 Ours are bantam brown english leghorns. Difficult to find in the extreme -white are easier. They lay 200 per year -5 a week each for 40 weeks average weight 50 grammes. That was last year, their second full laying year. They don't like cold at all and overwinter in the greenhouse. If the temperature drops below -5 we have to bring them in as we haven't got electricity for a heat lamp where they are kept. But they have just started laying again. I'm testing the eggs for fertility, as have had requests for hatching eggs now that we have a lovely new cockerel. Ours are good quality birds conforming to breed standard, but still laying like Leghorns should do.

Our bantam wyandottes are absolutely useless. 50 eggs per year at best. Been bred for colours and not utility. So whatever bantams you buy make sure they lay well as most don't. Out large fowl Wyandottes are doing 150 -220 per year, average egg weight 56 grammes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS