Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free Bridging Software for Making Tax Digital Vat Returns  (Read 5036 times)

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Free Bridging Software for Making Tax Digital Vat Returns
« on: May 26, 2022, 07:29:57 am »
As usual,something simple has now become less so ::) [/color]I’m Vat registered and keep all my accounts on an excel spreadsheet submitting the relevant info directly to HMRC each quarter. For my next return I’m having to go digital, is anyone out there using some free bridging software they are happy to recommend?A couple of products that have caught my attention for submitting the info on my behalf are Portico Software & Anna - having just looked a little closer at Anna though this seems to be a new start up banking system no doubt looking to pull you into opening an account and charging for their service.Any Portico users or other systems people are willing to comment on?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Free Bridging Software for Making Tax Digital Vat Returns
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 08:11:09 am »
I have used Vatify for the past year and found it fine. Some of the others were huge downloads and looked more complicated than it needed to be. I registered with them and that included the necessary permission with HMRC.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 04:09:56 pm »
Depends if you want free or cheap -

Sage - donlt recommend
Xero - recommend
Quickbooks - not used

or search here for Gov listed ones - https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/making-tax-digital-software?_ga=2.193775336.49695213.1653579225-39164736.1653579225

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 05:55:33 pm »
I got Vatify from the HMRC list. I started working down from the top but realised it would take forever so scrolled down and picked Vatify.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 08:25:22 pm »
Ive been looking at the free software options, confusing, the list is scary, I'm bound to pick a complicated one
Harmony, or anyone? what is involved with Vatify please?
I currently use Excel, never a problem and I'm getting too old to understand these changes :D .

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 08:58:03 pm »

Penninehillbilly, I had the following PM from PipKelpy.[/size]

did you sort out your MTD? I have a 2017 Mac air and also use the spreadsheet (old school). I've sent last months quarter through using SafeAccounts. I'm thick when it comes to things like that, so have been emailing them for help. Also don't have a smartphone so it was abit long winded.
[/color][/size]Its free, my sister is using them as well as she is a Childminder. She says she cant justify paying for access.[/color][/i]
[/color][/size][/color][/size]My 1st MTD Vat return is due the end of this month so will need to sort something out soon. Plan to have a look at those mentioned & take a leap of faith. If you’re more organised than me let me know how you get on.[/color][/size]PipKelpy, thank you for the PM, I was waiting until I’d sorted to post something here, PennineHB beat me to it.[/color]

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 09:38:53 pm »
Ive been looking at the free software options, confusing, the list is scary, I'm bound to pick a complicated one
Harmony, or anyone? what is involved with Vatify please?
I currently use Excel, never a problem and I'm getting too old to understand these changes :D .

You sign up with them and use the link they provide to tell HMRC that vatify has your permission to act for you. When a return is due you download a form, fill it in and submit.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 12:35:50 pm »
Thanks ZacB and Harmony,
I would think many of us with the standard tax year end will be starting to worry :) .
Harmony sounds organized!  :)
Hardly ever make a profit and probably retiring/packing up/downsizing in a few years,  :'( can't  do complicated. (Probably more like can't face complicated, hopefully).
Will look again at those 2.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 10:03:26 am »
Making tax digital still hasn’t be deployed here yet………able to submit last quarters return via original methods………long may it continue but I doubt very much. As and when I’ll update when forced to use a bridging software of some description.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 10:34:06 pm »
I thought  this month was the deadline?, I'm panicking, don't know what im supposed to do, why oh why do they have to change things, I understood the system, just check receipt etc, put my figures in the spreadsheet, put the totals in the boxes on HMRC website. No problem!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 06:44:59 am »
Safeaccounts worked for me, the money was in the account within days, as usual.

I really DON'T like change  BUT they put up with my emails and questions etc. I just hope I can remember what to do on the next quarter!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 02:17:47 pm »
Well I’ve done it - created a Vatify account.

The last quarters return, again was allowed on the old system and it was tempting to see if things just carried on but thought better of it.

Don’t want to tempt fate but the sign up process was very easy, hopefully the returns will be similar!

I’ll update shortly after the 31st December return.

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 06:39:35 am »
Having now submitted a second return have to say I’m very pleased with Vatify (although still of the opinion why I need to go through a third party is questionable).
A template form, no different to the original government form, downloaded and saved. Duly filled in, saved as the current required return and then uploaded - return completed.
On the 2nd return advised subscription had expired, thought to myself here we go………how much? But no, had to be renewed, free of charge, just to allow removal of old un-used accounts which does make sense.
Happy to recommend to anyone looking for a free & easy solution to MTD.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS