Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: turkey poults  (Read 2973 times)

symjet

• Joined Sep 2010
turkey poults
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:42:57 am »
hi all
can someone pkease tell me when is the best time to buy turkey chicks or when are they availible
many thanks
jon

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: turkey poults
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:57:52 pm »
they should start laying as the days get longer and then a month to hatch.
Our may hatchlings were huge by christmas and late august ones came in dressed weight of 3.5kg minimum
so it depends on breed and the final weight you want- we have norfolk blacks and norfolk black/slate crosses- both taste fantastic :yum:
its no good them reaching required weight in november for christmas. just wasting feed :thumbsup:

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
I'd really like to raise a couple this year too, so any advice or tips from experienced people are much appreciated.   :thumbsup:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:17:14 pm »
we usually buy around June/July time. Ours last year were quite a bit bigger than this years - they seemed to grow like hell until the end of October then just stopped.  ???

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:41:27 pm »
Hi

There is a commercial Turkey farm up the lane from us that rear 3000+ turkeys to supply butchers for the Christmas market.

Last year we purchased 15 day old turkey poults from them and they came in at the end of July.  They were massive by Christmas.  We bought a range of sizes from medium upto HUGE and the smallest we had was 16lb and the largest was 38lb.  A mixture of Bronze and white, although I preferred the bronze.

So i would say that as long as you are getting a commercial double breasted strain then July is the optimum time.  I guess you might need abit longer for the Heritage pure bred types.

Hope this helps.  Hope you have fun rearing them, we absolutely loved them and am looking forward to rearing them again this year.

Best of luck
Steph x
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »
We get ours at 6 weeks old (off heat) in mid July.  We have bought some Bourbon Reds from Smiffy two years in a row now and they were delicious.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS