Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bloody Dogs!!!  (Read 9075 times)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Bloody Dogs!!!
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:26:32 pm »
Bloody Hell!!! Another dog in with sheep. By the time Tim got there with his gun the dog and it's owners had buggered off. Brought a ewe home with her ears virtually ripped off.

This is the third time we in the last three years we have had dogs attack the sheep on this piece of ground. Pisses me off that people can't be more responsible - and to disappear without so much as a sorry, or can we pay the vet's bill. I have'nt got the symbols on the keyboard to tyoe the sound I want to make!!!!
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Bloody Dogs!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:17 pm »
Oh dear how awful.  Your poor ewe.  If she was in lamb I hope all will be well.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:14 pm »
Oh I'm sorry  :-* I hope your poor ewe recovers.

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »
I hate the idea of any of my dogs getting in with sheep, theynever have shown interest but I keep them well away if I see any but I still worry, the people that let them near sheep should know better, a lot of your money down the drain due to careless owner!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:51:17 pm »
Poor sheep. Hope she is none the worse for her ordeal.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:22:28 pm »
As a dog owner and lover I would like to offer sincere apologies for what happened. I hope the thoughtless TW*TS get what they deserve and that your sheep makes a full recovery.

Why are people so stupid and selfish?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »
As a dog owner and lover I would like to offer sincere apologies for what happened. I hope the thoughtless TW*TS get what they deserve and that your sheep makes a full recovery.

Why are people so stupid and selfish?

Ian

DITTO.

Hope she's OK and not too traumatised by the whole experience.
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 09:14:43 pm »
Time will tell how she does - she's lost her looks though and she is only a youngster. Carrying twins. Lets hope it stays that way >:(
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:19:49 pm »
Fingers crossed for her and the twins  :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 11:03:25 pm »
Oh, how awful - for you and the ewe.  I do hope she recovers okay and keeps the lambs okay too.  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:45:34 am »
VSS sorry to hear your news - I love my sheep to bits and I have dogs and love them too but I am very careful not to let the 'non-animal-friendly' GS near the livestock. Zip the collie I'm letting him near the sheep but with a very careful eye on him. I would be livid if a dog got anywhere near my sheep just don't know how they would be or what effect it would have on them. Hope your ewe recovers and keeps her lambs.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:51:34 am »
I have a public walkway over my land and it is a monthly thing that I have to speak to someone, I had lambs go missing last year and sheep with facial wounds as well. One woman will not put her dog on a lead after being told so many times to.

I hope your ewe is as strong willed as mine were and pull through with no effects except a fear of dogs and people

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 10:20:20 am »
Hi ellisr - is your walkway a specific track? If it is perhaps an electric fence might stop this woman and her dog.  Obviously you will have to put up signs and thats extra expense with the fencing but it could help.  Some people and their dogs are a pain in the neck and worse :wave: :wave:  Jan

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 07:55:59 am »
We had the same problem the public footpath runs along side the hedge alldown  one side of 15 acres, we took the decision to fence it off leaving enough room for the tractor, it cost us around a Grand in stock fence plus gates money we could have well done without spending but the peace of mind it has given was worth it especially after having a dog in the barn during lambing to find one Ewe with bites and cuts down her front legs and a dead lamb with bite marks in the field   :(  after putting up the fence we have (touch wood) had no more bad dog experiences.

This brings me on to another question would you shoot a dog that is worrying your sheep. For me after the last experience I would do but in saying that  and having 4 dogs myself that the last thing i would want to  do is to take the life of someones pet

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 09:02:40 am »
I have to say I would rather shoot the owner >:( >:( The thing that really gets my goat is when the owner says"He's only playing, he's very gentle with the grandchildren" Happily for you, say I,  your grandchildren haven't got four legs and a fleece!!
ANY dog will chase sheep,my tiny Yorkie who can walk through the mesh of the sheep netting thought he might have a go. The ram made him think again!
The other dogs know that it's more than their lives are worth to even look at the sheep but I will bet a years wages that if they were in alone with them and the sheep ran they would chase them and instinct would take over.
I had two ewes and two ewe lambs killed last summer, poor little buggers were defenceless (that was a dog who was "playing" >:( >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS