Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice for starting rearing table birds but I live in a semi in a village?  (Read 12951 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: advice for starting rearing table birds but I live in a semi in a village?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:45:53 pm »
My husband culls them in the traditional way of holding the legs and pulling the neck until you feel the vertebrae separate.  very quick way of doing it. 

If you fear your arms might not be long or strong enough - especially for a big bird - I use the "stand on a spanner over the neck and pull up by the legs" method. This worked on a bird whose head reached the floor when I was carrying by the ankles  :o

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 01:35:46 pm »
It certainly strengthens your upper body especially if you have a few to do I did 9 once in 1 day my arms were killing me when I had finished but all those lovely chickens in the fridge well worth it.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 01:53:40 pm »
To be honest your setup isn't really ideal, as much as you want them, I'd advise you to think very carefully and if you decide to go ahead make sure that keeping them safe and secure is your priority. And that means spending money, don't try to cut corners securing the fencing or their housing.

Firstly, you need more space than you mention. How much can you actually give them as a run area - remembering you will need to fence it all properly?

If you want to raise more stock you will need a cockeral and he WILL crow at ANY time of the day and night.

If you have a dog which will go for the birds you really need a secure run that it can't get into. And it will try and get iin there whenever you open the door to go in yourself - and chances are she will get in there quicker than you can stop her.

Be careful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS