Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is it poisonous?  (Read 8437 times)

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
Is it poisonous?
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:32:36 pm »
Hi   :)
I am moving my 2 osb's on to a different part of my land which has a lot off convolvulus bindweed on it.  Does anyone know if this will be safe for the pigs as my mate says the bindweed is poisonous.  I would be grateful for any advice on this.
Thanks
Tricky
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:00:18 pm by Tricky Trev »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Is it poisonous?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 09:25:55 am »
We have this too and though i don't think it will bother the pigs, i personally pull it out or burn off as pigs root it into small bits which root and make more bindweed which is how you get infested with it, best off use a selective weedkiller(the kind that doesn't kill grass eg Grazon 90) and keep animals off for 7 - 10days. It a b*gg*er to get rid of.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:14 am »
Animals know what is poisonous and as long as they have plenty to eat you shouldn't have any problems.
As Mandy says they will help to spread it so a quick spray may not be a bad idea. :thumbsup:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:18:30 pm »
I have nothing in my notes about bindweed and pigs, but they are pretty clever, adn suspect that they will either dig it up and leave it, as it harms them , or eat it 'cos it doesn't. 

However as per FF and BB if they dig it up and break it into a zillion pieces and leave it, each one will grow, so you may actually make the problem worse

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tricky Trev

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »
Thank you all for the info, we zapped the bindweed last year with round up, it slowed it down but didn't really get rid of it. I will let the pigs have a go, I am going to put early potatoes in afterwards so hope they do a good job, will let you no how they go on.   : :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:22 am »
to early in the morning for you Lillian        a big difference betwean bindweed and ragwort      it is ragwort that she is referring to     just keep taking your medication you will feel better :farmer:

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:31:33 am »
According to one book I have - Diseases of Pigs by D J Anthony MRCVS - Convolvulus (bindweed) is poisonous - "Animals eating this plant display loss of appetite, attempts at vomition, great dullness and death."

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 07:16:50 pm »
Love the phrase "great dullness" - very Dickension !

Whether pigs actually eat it, or just dig it up he doesn't say!

Several sites mention it (when I googled)

eg

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=71 says
"Sheep and cattle eat the foliage and pigs and chickens may unearth and consume the underground stems and fleshy roots. "
http://www.greenplantprotection.eu/weeds/field_crops/pulses/field_bindweed says
Sheep and cattle are willing to eat the leaves of field bindweed, however pigs and chickens like to unearth and consume the fleshy roots and underground stems.
Both these seems to be quoting the "Ecology and Management of field bindweed" by a man in montana and published by United States Department of Agriculture
http://www.msuextension.org/ruralliving/Dream/PDF/Weed/bindweed.pdf which says
"Grazing and Mowing. Cattle, sheep and goats will graze on field bindweed leaves and stems. Hogs and chickens eat leaves, stems, exposed roots and rhizomes, and crowns."

or the latter may be copying the former - with the internet you never know !!!  Maybe american animals are immune to it, ot it is a different plant in America.  Who knows?  :)

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS