Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: starting with ducks  (Read 4210 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
starting with ducks
« on: January 11, 2012, 06:45:41 pm »
hello everyone. I am thinking about getting some ducks to add to the small holding as I have always liked them and would appreciate the eggs for baking. My mother used to keep chickens but I am really not keen on them (no offense meant to all you chicken lovers). I was hoping they could go behind the stables in a fenced off area with a house as this area is only used for growing fruit trees which are only in their 2nd year so no other stock can go there yet as they would just be munched, crushed and doug up even with little tree protectors. Do you have any suggestions on types of ducks for laying but it would be nice if they could be friendly too. Thank you  ;D

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: starting with ducks
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:33 pm »
I prefer runner ducks as they seem cleaner somehow. I used to have Aylesburies and Swedish Blues but they did make a mess. Runners are good layers as well. If you are giving them a run with trees and shrubs (which sounds great by the way) be prepared to hunt for the eggs !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »
Khaki Campbells are supposed to be the best layers I was told.  Mine are generally pretty good - they have a KC mum and a Swedish Blue dad.  Quite friendly too, but ALL ducks make a mess - they need water, and if there is water available they will use it to puddle everything up. ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:04 am »
Yes, they are messy but that is easily outweighed by their charm :D I've only ever kept Khaki and White Campbells for eggs but, I hear that Runners are as good. :&>

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »
Yes, our rubber ducks are superb (sorry, that was a typo, but too much fun to correct!  ;D). However, we find them extremely skittish / flighty. Maybe that's just ours of course, but maybe not the best choice if you want friendly?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:27:19 pm »
my runners arent skittish but a little bit shy. lots of eggs in spring and lovely birds. much prefered to the khakis we had before who never used their nest box. beautiful feathers and meat is delicious.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:02 pm »
The Campbells will lay in their house if you let them out a bit latish in the morning. They usually lay before eight-o-clock even in winter

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:59:35 pm »
Thanks for all your advice guys, I think I have decided on Runner ducks. At what age should I get them, is it best to get them quite young so I can get them used to their environment etc

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 06:37:23 pm »
wellies from the stories of the runner ducks    it might be better if thet were hobbled or had one leg  :farmer:

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Get runners. I have never had so much entertainment. They are so funny. Get them as young as you can. The eggs are a good size for baking. They don't seem to need as much water as say call ducks. Mine don't make that much mess but do have lots of space.
Karen

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:13:23 pm »
My runners make me laugh every day  :D

When I sit down quietly, they fossick about around me and play in the beck nearby. When I stand up, they all form an orderly queue and quick march up the gill, trying to look unconcerned  :D I love their chatter when they're happy and busy. And they lay good eggs too and are extremely virtuous about going to bed - easily trained to do so  :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »
I would get last years chicks, the runner breed is up to you , mine are all crossed now but love the different colours.The colours I have are black, chocolate , apricot and trout. Good luck with them as said they are so funny.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 09:49:08 am »
where do you guys get them from, we are based in shropshire?

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 11:59:13 am »
always see plenty about. There may be members of this site near you. I got mine from Chelford market but do be careful what you buy. Look on pre-loved. google runner ducks, you may find some for sale near you. I will let you know if I come accross any. It's abit early yet. Not many people selling. Good luck.
Karen

nic99

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 07:29:01 pm »
I absolutely love my runner ducks! I have 4 plus a female khaki. I hatched them from eggs in an incubator. They were all terrified of me as ducklings but I spent quite a bit time sitting quietly with them, just doing nothing, and they got used to me pretty quickly. They are now really tame and run over to me when I go through the gate to their field. They like to stick their beaks down my wellies and have a rummage in my clothing, just in case there's something tasty in there. They have never found anything so far! Mine also put themselves to put every night, although lately they have gotten confused and are sleeping in the chicken coop and pooing in the nest boxes! Perhaps they find it warmer with everyone together.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS