Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Complete beginner  (Read 1695 times)

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
Complete beginner
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »
Hi guys, I've never kept goats before but have had sheep - i'm planning on getting a few goats this year but i wondered what advice you can give me on breeds, source and management?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Complete beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »
Read all the goat books and visit nearby goatkeepers. BGS website (allgoats.org.uk) quite good.

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:18:57 pm »
I've read a couple ofbooks, andhave been reading articles in smallholder mag, but thereare no other goat keepers around here ;(

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:31:44 pm »
Between all of us on here and the people we know we are bound to be able to find someone near-ish you. Whereabouts are you?

Beth

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »
I agree the BGS website is quite good for advice and you can read a bit about the different breeds and think about which one might suit you. When sourcing goats I would always ask if the herd has been tested for CAE (caprine arthritis encephalitis) - As well as being good practice to test for this disease, I think it is a fairly good indicator of the care someone has for their goats, ie if they are bothered to test for CAE they are far more likely to take good care of the goats in other ways.

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:20 pm »
I'm in the sunny (not!) Highlands of Scotland, On the mainland just before you get to the Isle of Skye.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS