Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'fed up' goat?  (Read 10724 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
'fed up' goat?
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:05 am »
Ok, this is going to sound daft (like many of my questions!) but savannah, my 2 year old maiden milker is acting a bit strange.
Its fairly non-descript but I just feel something isn't 'right'.  She is eating, drinking, has access to her lick, she has mineral supplements added to her feed, has been wormed within the past month, droppings are normal, temp normal but she's lying down more often, seems less interested in her little herd and their movements and her tail is droopier.
told you it sounds daft!! she has recently dried off from milking and her milk did start to taste like grass at the end (we did change hay supplier and it coincided with that ) not sure if its connected. there is nothing to suggest mastitis - did the washing up test and it was fine, udder pale pink, soft and not hot or bumpy.
 ???
do goats just have off day's like we do? its been 2 days now. And I am paranoid... 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 'fed up' goat?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »
Not sure, I would watch her. I think they do have "off-days", I would tempt her with some special treats, bananas are always a hit. Also she may just sulk if you recently reduced her feed intake as she was dried off?

Keep an eye on it, but I couldn't answer any more specific....

She is not been to the billy has she?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:02:11 pm »
Hi Anke

thanks for your reply. No not been to billy. But...we have a new goat dont' we, puffin. I wonder if she's sulking a bit about that?  Its been a few weeks or so since Puffin arrived and I've made sure that any fuss directed at Puffin has been equalled towards reg and vanna too and have told the children to do the same. Her feed has been reduced too so perhaps a double whammy of sulking?
she is eating banana skins, some willow twigs, rich tea biscuit treats and today I did catch a glimpse of her giving reggie a butt up the bum (playfully) so I think she's feeling a bit better but last night I admit to going up there in my pj's and wellies with a torch to check on her!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:13:34 pm »
Awww, sounds like she was fed-up  :-* I'm glad to hear she's eating treats and being a bit of a pain with Reggie  :D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
I would be just like you Plums - I watch in the morning and evening for any unusual activity - either munching, butting, fusing etc and I guess there's always a reason and it's for us to work it out - at the end of the day if Savannah is eating fine and taking treats then I think it'll be a bit of a huff - keep an eye and I'm sure all will be well xx
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:41:33 pm »
Another thought I had was that Puffin arrived smelling of billy at the time that savannah was in season, that might have given her the hump too!
Thanks for all your reassurance - I know I can come here and say when I'm worried and I am more paranoid than I should be because of having the 2 die as they did when we got them. All it takes now is for a goat to sneeze and I have the books out and am worried  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »
All it takes now is for a goat to sneeze and I have the books out and am worried  ::)

Yes my goat books often don't live on the bookshelf.... If someone on here posts something I get the books out and check...

my GG girl often only gets up in the morning when I go into the pen and tell her "in person" to get on that milking stand.... now .....and she definitely knows how to be in a "huff"! But she will always come for a piece of banana (but not the skin!)

Hope your girl perks up a bit - maybe Reggie was making eyes for the new one????

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:37 am »
We all have off days.  Maybe this was hers.  If she was really poorly she wouldn't want treats.  Hope she's back to normal soon.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 09:53:35 am »
Savannah is currently running about the paddock with Reggie giving him head butts and skipping in the air.  Really pleased to see her feeling better and wishing I could lose the ability to worry lol!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:05 am »
Am so pleased for you!  They really are a worry sometimes.  :)

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:26:14 am »
Lisa
Daft idea, but wonder if she can tell that Puffins preggers?? and a bit of jealousy crept in?? They are more intelligent than we think arnt they?

Have you any inclination to put her in kid this season??

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 11:59:25 am »
presume you've checked her feet? Mine don't always seem to limp when they have scald - just look proper fed up and a bit poorly.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »
You could be onto something salopman! maybe she's broody. I don't want to get her in kid this time round as last year she was a maiden milker which was quite a blessing and if she does that every year, I get the milk but don't have to have the worry of finding homes etc for kids. I have also found myself in a situation where an entire ram lamb was left in with the ewe lambs we were letting graze here so we have unplanned sheep pregnancies (quite possibly) so I may be lambing as I'm keeping 2 of them while the sheep group take the other few to slaughter.

I did check her feet a week or so ago Shep, but its a good thought - I will do that again.

the 3 of them are running together today and playing so all seems happier!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »
Awww....brilliant news that all seems OK.   They are such a worry aren't they  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:51 pm »
just Savannah having a mardy day ... we all do!  ;)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS